The Ministry program at Ursuline College prepares women and men for professional ministerial work in the church and in society.
- Cleveland, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- The Master of Arts in Ministry program at Ursuline College prepares women and men for professional ministerial work in the church and in society. The program embraces a commitment to ecumenism that is grounded firmly in the Christian theological tradition, and in the affirmation that in the 21st century, we face rich opportunities for interaction with people of diverse cultural and religious backgrounds. The Ministry program therefore aims to attract, and to meet the needs of, students from a variety of faith traditions. The Ministry program also embraces a broad conception of ministry and vocation, and encourages students to create and articulate their own ministerial vision by engaging in a wide variety of ministries and of ministerial settings. The program integrates academic course work, spiritual development, and hands-on experience in the field of ministry. The program uses a creative adult-learning model, which allows individuals with full-time work and/or family commitments to fulfill the master’s degree requirements. The initial courses address the theological foundations of ministry within the context of the church and its mission to the world. Subsequent course work draws on theology, psychology, spirituality, and culture to develop a holistic approach to, and understanding of, ministry. Additionally, several courses develop the pastoral skills and knowledge needed by the professional in the field. The final practicum experience enables students to focus their studies and to develop specific ministerial skills. What can you expect from a graduate education in theology at Ursuline College? First, you will find that theological education at Ursuline is rigorous yet practical. The Master of Arts in Ministry program provides students with a professional degree that integrates theological education with ministerial formation and practical experience. The curriculum includes a 36 credit-hour course of instruction that provides students with a broad and deep academic foundation in scripture, doctrine, theology, pastoral care and counseling, church history and ethics, as well as with hands-on experiences in pastoral ministry. Second, you will find that theological education at Ursuline is integrative. There is a constant conversation taking place in our classrooms between the body of tradition we study critically, and the many and varied experiences each of us brings with us into that same classroom. You will find this distinctive emphasis on integration and synthesis throughout all of your coursework, whether you are taking a course in Church History, Moral Theology, Liturgy and Sacraments, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Social Justice or Christian Scriptures. Every member of our program faculty seeks to accomplish this kind of integration in our courses through reading assignments, through lecture, through classroom dialogue, through written projects, group projects and through theological reflection. Finally, theological education at Ursuline is transformative. A fundamental principle of theological scholarship for people of faith is that we are transformed by what we study. Critical study of the object of our faith should not lessen that faith but indeed, should broaden and deepen that faith. The study of theology should not lead to indifference but rather should teach us more about our religious beliefs and values. And indeed, as you will see and hear from our students and faculty, the Ursuline Ministry program has transformed many students since it first began in 1990, leading women and men into deeper, more mature, and more authentic relationships with one another, with their religious communities, with the world and with God.
Additional Program Information
- Ursuline College is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Financial Aid:
- For the most current information, please visit: http://www.ursuline.edu/Admission/Graduate/requirements.html
- International Requirements:
- For the most current information, please visit our website.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program