- Austin, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Graduate Certificate
- Program Description:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV) Graduate Certificate in Spanish Translation and Interpreting responds to the increasing demand of qualified professionals in the areas of translation, interpreting and cross-cultural communication. The program will offer training in a set of professional skills devised to enhance the translation capabilities of practicing professionals and future practitioners alike.
Apply to the UTRGV Graduate College:
- Submit a UTRGV Graduate Application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 ($100 for international applicants) can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Register on the UTRGV Recommenders and Document Upload Webpage. This is where you will request recommenders and upload program requirement documents, and where the graduate office will upload your transcripts. If you do not complete this step, we will not be able to process your application.
- Request your transcripts and other supporting documentation to be mailed to:
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
The Graduate College
Marialice Shary Shivers Bldg. 1.158
1201 W. University Drive
Edinburg, TX 78539-2999
Review and submit all Program Requirements:
- Online application at www.ApplyTexas.org. The university application fee of $50 ($100 for international applicants) can be paid online by credit card or electronic check (in the online application). All application fees are non-refundable.
- Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution in the United States or a recognized international equivalent in a similar or related field.
- Undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0.
- Official transcripts from each institution attended (must be submitted directly to UTRGV).
- Personal interview (online or in person).
- Letter of recommendation from the student’s undergraduate faculty advisor.
- Submission of a short essay in Spanish
- A translation test waiver may be granted to applicants who hold a state or federal court or medical interpreting license.
- Satisfactory performance on the translation of a document from English to Spanish and from Spanish to English.
Students whose native language is not English or who studied at a University outside the U.S.:
- TOEFL or IELTS Language Proficiency Test with minimum scores: 550 on paper-based, 213 on computer based, or 79 on Internet-based for the TOEFL; 6.5 for the IELTS. TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years.
- English translation of educational records.
- Transcript Evaluation by the Foreign Credentials Service of America (FCSA).
- Fall - Jul 1
- Spring - Nov 15
- Summer I - May 1
- Summer II - Jun 1
Note: Students admitted only to a Certificate Program are not eligible to obtain a Student Visa from UTRGV.
Required Courses (9 credits)
- SPAN/TRSP 6340 Translation Theory
- SPAN/TRSP 6342 Translation Workshop: Spanish-English
- SPAN/TRSP 6343 Translation Workshop: English-Spanish
Electives (6 credits)
Choose from the following:
- INTG 6376 Consecutive Interpreting
- INTG 6377 Simultaneous Interpreting
- INTG 6378 Court Interpreting
- INTG 6379 Interpreting Practicum
- INTG 6380 Medical Interpreting and Terminology
- SPAN/TRSP 6344 Translation of Legal Texts
- SPAN/TRSP 6345 Topics in Translation
- Literary Translation
- Translation Policy in Public Institutions
- SPAN/TRSP 6346 Business and Finance Translation
- SPAN/TRSP 6347 Translation Technologies
- SPAN/TRSP 6348 Audiovisual Translation
- SPAN/TRSP 6395 Translation/Research Project
PARTICIPATING INSTITUTION AND ADVISOR
UT Rio Grande Valley
Dr. Jose Davila-Montes
Program Director, Professor
Certificate Awarded: Graduate Certificate in Spanish Translation and Interpreting
Additional Program Information
- The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
- Financial Aid:
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program