- Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Education, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
Investigate the complexities of development issues in Thailand while living in Chiang Mai, a blend of urban bustle and ancient charm. Study the Thai language, use your new language skills at home with your host families, and learn from the local community through an internship or research project with a grassroots NGO.
Spend seven weeks engaged in coursework in Chiang Mai, followed by six weeks working as an intern or conducting a research project. The program puts you in direct contact with the social and economic realities of actual communities and of people working within them to address complex problems. Through classes, field trips, and an extended internship or research placement, MSID strives to establish a continual dialogue linking experience with theory and critical analysis.
Homestays are an integral component of the learning experience and often a highlight for participants. Your family provides not only housing and most meals but is also a vital connection to Thai culture.
You will visit a variety of sites that may include local markets, development agencies, and areas of interest around Chiang Mai.
- Setting Description:
- Study international development in Thailand, the only southeast Asian country not colonized by European powers and a hub for manufacturing, agriculture, and tourism. You’ll also contribute through an internship or research project with a nonprofit organization while you are there. Explore the complexities created by issues such as environment, globalization, public health, and social justice.
Additional Program Information
- 2.5 GPA; juniors and above; no language prerequisite; American degree-seeking students
- Scholarships Description:
- The Learning Abroad Center’s Study Abroad Scholarship provides awards for non-University of Minnesota undergraduate students going on eligible Learning Abroad Center credit-bearing programs.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program