- Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
- Explore the history and cultures of Ecuador from the colonial period to the onset of independence. By studying the socio-spatial configuration of the colonial city as exemplified by Quito and Cuenca, we will open a window into the transcultural aspects of artistic, architectonical, and cultural manifestations of Ecuador.
- Classes held at the Universidad de San Francisco de Quito (USFQ) and the Instituto Santiago de Quito (ISQ).
- Visits in Quito to the City's Museum, the Museum of the Central Bank (Precolumbian and Colonial Arts) as well as the Franciscan, Dominican, Augustinian, and Jesuit Churches/ Convents will complement classes.
- Excursions: a day trip to the Indian Market of Otavalo, a half-day trip to the equator, and an overnight trip to the City of Cuenca to visit Riobamba, the Chimborazo volcano, Ingapirka ruins, etc.
Three University of Maryland credits.
- Setting Description:
- The Universidad de San Francisco de Quito, founded in 1987, is located in Cumbaya, a valley adjacent to Quito, Ecuador. The Instituto Santiago de Quito (ISQ) is another university campus located three hours south of Quito in the culturally rich colonial town of Riobamba.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program