A TYPICAL WEEKDAY… 08h00: Wake up time 08h15 – 09h00: Breakfast 09h30: Departure for the various placements 10h00 – 12h30: Activities at various school or orphanage placements 12h30: Packed lunch 14h00 – 16h00: Activities at various after-school or arts
- Port Elizabeth, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Year Round
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Business, Education
- Program Description:
- United Through Sport South Africa (UTSSA) is greatly pleased to welcome international volunteers to South Africa, especially to the friendly Nelson Mandela Bay (Port Elizabeth area) in the province of the Eastern Cape. South Africa is an ideal destination as it combines non-exhaustive travel potential with quality sports activities and extraordinary diversity. So if you want a real human, cultural and uniquely African experience through a rewarding volunteer placement, you are sure to find a project that quenches your thirst for discovery.
Creating platforms for overseas volunteers to work in the townships and to interact closely with local – predominantly Xhosa – communities is still relatively new, as South Africa’s History has only allowed township communities to receive attention since the 1990’s, after the collapse of apartheid.
Due to these historical reasons, townships are still today “taboo” zones for many people and it is only by "crossing the bridge" that the experience turns into unforgettable and rewarding times. We hope that through your commitment and our experience, we can – together – make a humble but nonetheless significant contribution toward the social upliftment and empowerment of disadvantaged communities. The experience of sharing, learning and exchanging through exciting daily activities will help the legacy ideal of providing opportunities for underprivileged youth, whilst creating better understanding between people as well as leaving you with lasting memories of an unforgettable human, cultural and work experience!
A TYPICAL WEEKDAY… 08h00: Wake up time 08h15 – 09h00: Breakfast 09h30: Departure for the various placements 10h00 – 12h30: Activities at various school or orphanage placements 12h30: Packed lunch 14h00 – 16h00: Activities at various after-school or arts and design placements 16h30: Last return at accommodation 18h30: Dinner Evenings: occasional activities but usually free - can be spent either at the accommodation or out. Only condition: be fit the following morning! Weekends: occasional work but usually free for outings and activities or personal time and travel.
- Setting Description:
- You will be staying in a communal accommodation in town, basic but comfortable with dormitory style rooms and shared toilets and showers. The accommodation has a very sociable atmosphere and you will find it a great place to relax and unwind in the evenings, with a swimming pool and lots of activities such as ping pong, TV/DVD room, pool table, braai area, etc…. The accommodation is centrally located to the placements (5 minutes' drive from the nearest townships) and not far away from the city centre (8 minutes' drive), shopping centres (within walking distance), the beach (10 minutes' drive) and the night life. Where walking is too far, it is advised to use taxis or minibus taxis.
- $1100 (£680) for first five weeks. $160 (£100) per week, from 6 to 12 weeks ($2220 (£1380) for 12 weeks) Included in costs – while in South Africa: - Transfer to and from the Port Elizabeth airport; - Full orientation and induction to your project and the general local context upon arrival; - Accommodation in a communal house with swimming pool and all amenities; - Three meals a day (breakfast, lunch and dinner); - Your volunteer placement or training course; - All work related local transport