- Sucre, Bolivia; Lima, Peru; Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Traveling School offers academics, overseas exploration and outdoor adventure for girls ages 15 to 18. Students earn high school credit while traveling with highly qualified teachers for fifteen weeks. In addition to classes and regular schoolwork, students also complete a family groupstay or homestay and community service projects during the semester. The Traveling School is a secondary school accredited through the Council for Standards on International Educational Travel (CSIET).
Spend your spring semester in Ecuador, Peru & Bolivia. Our innovative and inspiring curriculum takes full advantage of our friends, connections, communities and environments overseas. The Traveling School works with students and their regular home high schools to ensure students receive full academic credit towards graduation. Students earn full academic credit for six semester courses in math, history, science, language arts, foreign language, PE, and Global Studies.
The Traveling School is the only semester school that takes female students overseas for an academic semester to let them experience the world. Our students are 15-18 year-olds from across the United States, with a desire to redefine “high school.” Our girls remember the curiosity of kneeling down next to a bug as a child and wanting to know more. Our students want to meet the authors of the books they read, they want to scrape mortar on the walls of a newly-constructed school, and they want to understand the why and how of where they travel.
- Setting Description:
- Potential activities on this semester include:Explore and experience one of the oldest haciendas in Ecuador. Participate in community projects and language study with indigenous Quichua families.Delve into the jungle with naturalists and explore plants, animals and waterways of the Amazon Basin. Observe glaciology while hiking over Peruvian mountain basses of the Cordillera Blanca. Study the mysteries of the Inca Trail and Machu Picchu with a traditional healer. Practice Spanish skills in markets, villages and schools. Ascend a glacier with crampons and ice axes in Bolivia’s Cordillera Real. This semester is for you if you like: mountains, color, hiking, rugged terrain, community interaction, villages, Spanish, art, children, snorkeling, and cooperative spirit.
- 26,500 USD. Tuition 2016/ 2017: $26,500 per semester Tuition fees include: meals and lodging, additional overseas transportation, overseas domestic flights, museum and national park fees, most recreational activities, and academic instruction. Book fee: $400 Travel to and from the international destination is not included in the program tuition. Financial aid is available.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Financial aid awards range from 10%-60% of tuition depending on need 42% of students have received financial aid Since 2003, we have distributed over $571,000 in financial aid awards
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program