Sustainable development is a complex proccess including many interlated factors and proccess at a variety of levels. This program aims to utilize the potential of volunteers to bring solutions to such issues at a local level
- Lefkada, Greece
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Animals, Economic Development, Environment
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-11 months, 1 year, More than 1 year
- Program Description:
The goal of our field volunteer program is to contribute to sustainable development in the area, and is part of the kalamos and Kastos sustainable development program.An important goal of this, is to help educate and inspire people from around the world with respect to sustainability and nature conservation. It is based in the Kalamos Island biological field station. Volunteers work on a pre-agreed plan with us based on the structure of our program.
How it works
There are two ways you can participate in our work. The first is by participating in one of our pre-arrange activities for the field season. The second is to organize an activity for each volunteer individually in one of our thematic areas of work . We work out a pre-agreed plan on an individual volunteer basis which can include a mixture of activities both pre-arranged and an individual basis one in one of our thematic areas .
Our thematic areas are as follows:
• Sustainable agriculture and agroforestry
• Forest ecosystem Protection and Restoration
• Restoration of agricultural diversity
• Restoration of marine ecosystems
• Sustainable fisheries management
• Anthropogenic impacts on marine and terrestrial ecosystems
• Anthropogenic pollution measurement and reduction
• Wildlife monitoring and management
• Ecosystem monitoring
• Land use rights
• Marine tenure
• The economics of sustainable development
• Rights of use of natural resources
• Biocontrol of introduced species
• Social justice and related issues in natural resource management and sustainable development
• Applied animal and plant biological conservation
• Modeling of biological populations
• Marine ecology
• Plant ecology
We currently have three pre- arranged activities. These are:
1.Building the Kalamos Island Eco-community and experimental organic fruit and vegetable farm
2.Feral cat monitoring program for Kalamos ,Kastos and their satellite islands
3.Marine ecosystems monitoring program
Volunteer selection proccess
- We operate on a non discriminatory policy basis. People of all ages 18 or above can potentially join the program provided they can show the relative commitment and ethos .We try our best to fit what we do to the individual volunteer .We don’t separate people based on gender, ethnic origin, sexual orientation or religious belief.
- Commitment to our cause is an essential characteristic of any volunteer. For us the ideal volunteer is a person that can turn a problem into a success.
- We have a two stage application process whereby following the first stage of the application process of sending the form ,a second stage follows where a live interview is held via skype , telephone or in person .
- The cost of the program is 20 euros per day or 600 euros per month(30 calendar day period)
- The minimum amount of time a volunteer can stay with us is 15 calendar days
- All necessary training and orientation including assistance where needed, is included.
- Related transport in the general area of the project(Kalamos, Kastos and the satelite islands), Accommodation and other related facilities such as shared kitchen facilities, laundry and drying facilities,shared toilet and shower facilities access and also areas for for work. A basic housekeeping facility once a week is also included which also includes linen and bed sheet changes .Full access to wifi internet and computers is included .Τhere is no meal plan .Kalamos is in an area where food can be purchased easily from local shops,super markets etc however.
- Setting Description:
- Set in the area of the inner Ionian archipelago in the main island of Kalamos with its base of operations ,the Kalamos island biological field station we aim to record ,protect and restore biodiversity as part of our sustainable development model for the area
Additional Program Information
- To be 18 years of age or above at the time of the aplication