St. John's courses abroad often focus on experiential learning, whether through site visits, Academic Service-Learning, or city-based projects. It’s just another way to help you make the most of your experience, focusing your time on the amazing places wh
- Sevilla, Spain; Paris, France; Rome, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Experience a Truly Global Education as You Live and Learn in Three Different Countries!
By taking you to three countries in a single semester, Discover the World offers a multi-faceted perspective on European culture and politics. Through our academic offerings and service activities, you'll encounter extraordinary opportunities to engage with the people and cultures of modern Europe. Above all, you'll build a stronger academic portfolio by living and learning in three European cities in one semester. Our vibrant academics and onsite learning are the hallmarks of Discover the World: Europe. Classes transform these host cities’ cultural and historic resources by making them key components of your learning experience.
St. John's courses abroad often focus on experiential learning, whether through site visits, Academic Service-Learning, or city-based projects. It’s just another way to help you make the most of your experience, focusing your time on the amazing places where you’ll live and study. No matter the subject, our courses offer you local context—firmly embedded in the host city wherever possible—for understanding the global framework of each discipline. Many classes also include an academic service learning component. Helping to change lives is an inspiring experience – one that sets studying abroad with St. John’s apart. In the past year, our students committed nearly 5,000 hours to service sites worldwide. You’ll make a real difference through activities like teaching English to local students, serving in soup kitchens and mentoring school children. Best of all, volunteering lets you actively engage the people in your new host city. Discover the World: Europe features an innovative, modular class format that splits your 15-week semester into three, five-week sessions. This way, you’ll have one or two courses in each city, allowing you to fully concentrate on and absorb your course work.
• Rome: With so much to see in Rome, it’s hard to know where to start! Our Rome staff will lead you through sites such as the Coliseum, the Roman Forum, the Vatican, Ostia Antica, Villa d’Este, and Cinecittà film studios (where movies like Gangs of New York and the Life Aquatic were filmed). Looking for something different? Explore your faith through a Papal Audience, or play soccer (calcio in Italian) with our staff. And if you’re interested in mastering Italian, be sure to participate in a language exchange with local students. • Paris: You’ll visit landmarks such as trips to the Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe, and Montmartre (where most of Amélie takes place), Sacre-Coeur, Versailles, and the American cemetery in Normandy. Want to meet Parisian students? Be sure to participate in the mixers arranged with area schools. Practice your French while making new friends! • Seville: Start off your time in Seville through a guided river cruise on the Guadalquivir that ends with a walking tour—and a tour of different local foods. In addition, you’ll explore the Plaza de España (the site of the World’s Fair), the Museo de Bellas Artes, and one of the true treasures of Moorish Spain, the Alcazar. Want to go further afield? Explore the natural beauty of the Aracenas caves (Google an image—you’ll be amazed), visit the La Calera bull ranch, or travel with the staff to a beach town in Portugal.
- Setting Description:
- Students will live and learn in the following cities during the semester: • Rome: Just minutes from the Vatican City and other historic locations, our Rome campus is your base while exploring Italy. You’ll stay in our renovated campus, where you’ll enjoy sizable rooms, shared kitchens, a beautiful courtyard, air conditioning and WiFi. • Paris: Our campus puts you in the middle of the City of Light. Located in the 6th arrondissement, just steps from many of the city’s cultural and historic attractions, the amenities in this home away from home include a cafeteria, WiFi, air conditioning, and communal study and lounge areas. • Seville: St. John’s partners with the University of Seville, where you’ll study on the Reina Mercedes campus—roughly a 10-minute bus ride from the historic city center—and live at the nearby Inturjoven international residence, which offers a great way to interact with people from throughout the world. The residence features private bathrooms, WiFi, and a cafeteria—
- At St. John's, we want to make study abroad affordable for as many students as possible. We offer generous financial aid and scholarships that aim to accommodate every student, independent of their financial resources. 1. MERIT-BASED SCHOLARSHIPS Semester program students with a GPA of 3.5 or above are eligible for a $1,000 scholarship. The awards are automatic and based on the cumulative GPA as reported at the time of application to the program. No application is needed, just an official transc