- Spoleto, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Program Description:
A 3-week summer arts and humanities immersion program for high school students between the ages of 15-19 who are interested in visual arts, photography, vocal music, instrumental music (strings), creative writing, drama, screenwriting and travel in the beautiful medieval town of Spoleto, Italy. This is a unique opportunity for a focused immersion in an area of artistic interest by working closely with talented faculty and motivated peers, in a safe, inspiring and beautiful environment. Dynamic and engaging humanities courses supplement the various areas of art. In addition to exploring the vast treasures of Spoleto daily, on Wednesdays and Saturdays students take day trips to artistically and culturally significant cities in Tuscany and Umbria, such as Siena, Florence, Tivoli, and Orvieto to name a few.
Students are given the opportunity to immerse themselves in their area of artistic interest, work in small groups and one-on-one with faculty; travel to historically and artistically significant places; and explore the rich cultural heritage of central Italy. The continuity of studio time and instruction while surrounded by vast historic and artistic treasures in such an amazingly beautiful city is profoundly transformative for any developing artist. Students share their progress across disciplines in this supportive and encouraging environment. They are free to push themselves artistically, and applauded for their successes. During the last week of the program, the talent and hard work of our students are show-cased at our concerts, performances, and art exhibitions. Our performance-based artists will have several opportunities to perform during the program. The twice weekly day trips to artistically rich towns enhance curriculum and provide an opportunity to step into the wonders of the Renaissance first hand.
Our mission is to provide a collaborative community of artists and scholars gathered to explore the rich cultural heritage of central Italy while fostering individual artistic, intellectual and personal growth. Students emerge from this program with profoundly stronger portfolios, repertoires, and the life-experience to prepare them for college and beyond. The number of students participating is limited to 35 total in order to ensure intimate groups of study and one on one time with instructors. The program instructors are chosen for their talent and dynamic teaching style. Students build meaningful friendships and memories by learning, living and traveling with a dynamic group of artistic peers. Through living in an authentic Italian town, the students gain a true cultural perspective. This cultural immersion enhances their in-depth exploration of their art form. Students having completed Spoleto Study Abroad have a competitive edge over their peers on college and job applications.
- Setting Description:
- ‘The historic hilltop town of Spoleto, Italy is a well preserved breathtakingly beautiful medieval city providing an inspiring setting in which to live and study. Spoleto is a vibrant authentic Italian community with close proximity to some of the world’s richest historic, cultural, and artistic treasures. Students live in a restored 15th century convent along with their fellow students and Spoleto Study Abroad resident staff. The convent has beautiful gardens, terraces, patios and courtyards. Students share rooms, and each room has its own bath. Classes, studios, and restaurants are all located in the historic section of town, a short distance from the convent. The town appears to be cast straight form a movie set with winding steep cobblestoned streets, tiled roofs, gardens, olive groves, a Roman amphitheater, and frescoes adorning walls throughout the town.
- $6500 USD. Tuition of $6500 covers all course instruction, lodging accommodations, meals in a family-run 4-star restaurant, twice weekly day trips within Italy, entrance fees to sites on day trips, course materials and supplies for 3 weeks. There is also a $75 application fee.
Additional Program Information
- Student, age 15-19. Completion of 9th grade by participation date. Demonstrated proficiency in focus area. There is no language requirement. In examining completed applications, we ask two fundamental questions: 1.Is this student prepared artistically and academically to meet the challenges of the program? 2.Is this person going to make a good ambassador for school and country, taking constructive advantage of opportunities, exploring new interests and ideas, and making healthy contributions to the program?
- Scholarships Description:
- A small number of scholarships for travel to/from the U.S. and Italy. Feel free to check to see if we have other scholarships that have come available.