Hear direct testimonies from workers in garment factories, call centers, and agricultural fields about human rights in the global economy and standing up for justice. Develop leadership and organizing skills with hands-on creative and interactive worksho
- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Social Services, Translation, Women's Rights
- 1-3 months
- Program Description:
- Have you ever wondered about where your clothes come from? Are you interested in creating a just economy where working families have access to healthcare, education, and nutritious food? Do you have a passion for social justice and travelling?
If you answered yes to any of these- the Solidarity Immersion might be a great fit for you! We run 1-2 week trips for college and high school students centered around gaining an in-depth understanding of human rights in the global economy. Hear directly from workers in garment factories, call centers, an agricultural fields who are on the frontlines fighting for justice! Sharpen your own organizing and leadership skills with creative and hands-on workshops led by students who've won campaigns! Immerse yourself in Dominican culture and life with homestays, dancing, beaches, rivers, hikes, and delicious food! Plug into a national network of students like you, working towards social change!
Hear direct testimonies from workers in garment factories, call centers, and agricultural fields about human rights in the global economy and standing up for justice. Develop leadership and organizing skills with hands-on creative and interactive workshops. When you return to campus, you'll have a sharpened toolkit of social justice organizing strategies and be confident and ready to start making change! Immerse yourself in Dominican culture and life. Homestays! Beaches! Rivers! Hike through the hills! Explore historic Santo Domingo! Dance salsa and bachata! Cook and eat delicious Dominican food! Visit Alta Gracia, the world's first ever college apparel factory to pay workers a full living wage of over 3 times the local minimum, respect workers' voice on the job, provide top-notch healthy and safe working conditions, and allow independent monitoring by Worker Rights Consortium- and, it's the direct result of decades of student-worker collaboration! Hear from workers and see for yourself how this factory is challenging the garment industry and stimulating economic development throughout Villa Altagracia.
- Setting Description:
- The Dominican Republic is a beautiful country in the Caribbean! Depending on which of our trips you join on, you'll be located all over the country- starting in the historic and bustling campital Santo Domingo, going sightly north to the mountains and quiet charm of Villa Altagracia, and visiting all over- from Santiago to Bonao to Dajabon!
- Program costs range from $925-$ 1,500 depending on which trip you join. Costs include all on-island expenses, such as airport pick-up and drop-off, food, lodging, and interpretation. Not included are airline tickets (can range $300-$1,000 depending on where you fly from and when you purchase), vaccinations, passport expenses, travel insurance, and airport entry fee ($10).
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program