Solheimar is a world renowned sustainable community known for its artistic and ecological atmosphere where about 100 people live and work together. It was founded in 1930 by Sesselja Hreindís Sigmundsdóttir (1902-1974). It is a small village set out in th
- Selfoss, Iceland
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
- Educational programs in Solheimar have increased in recent years with internships first being available in 2010. The internship program offers students the ability to gain work experience and learn about their career paths as well as gain insight on environmental and social sustainability under the guidance of Solheimar’s nurturing staff.
Solheimar internships offer students the unique opportunity to participate in projects aimed at strengthening the Solheimar community and making it more sustainable. Solheimar is a world renowned community for people with special needs and internships here will provide students with firsthand knowledge about living in a sustainable community, while allowing them to focus their career paths and work on personal goals.
Solheimar is a world renowned sustainable community known for its artistic and ecological atmosphere where about 100 people live and work together. It was founded in 1930 by Sesselja Hreindís Sigmundsdóttir (1902-1974). It is a small village set out in the countryside, characterized by vegetation, open common spaces and buildings that nicely co-exist with the landscape. Solheimar is blessed with enough space for residential and common housing and there are ideal conditions for outdoor activities in the village, which play a big part in the residents' health and well- being. The Solheimar community focuses on the growth and development of man and nature. The social emphasis is that different individuals are offered variable opportunities to work, live, and socialize.
- Setting Description:
- You can apply for an internship with the following areas within the village: 1. Sesseljuhús Environmental Centre 2. Naerandi Food Service and Bakery 3. Vala Shop and Graena Kannan Café 4. Workshops (fine arts, weavery, ceramics, herbal, paper making, candle making and woodworking) 5. Maintenance and Construction 6. Ölur Forestry -tree nursery 7. Sunna Greenhouses - Organic Horticulture
- Sólheimar is self-owned, non – profit organisation, therefore Solheimar offer only non – paid internship and offer only lunch and housing for free. However the intern can apply and ask for food money up to 30.000 ISKR (€ 180, $ 240) per month as a credit in our grocery store Vala, if the intern thinks he/she needs it. All other expense is in the responsibility of the intern. Note: To apply for this the intern need to be in Solheimar for three months minimum. The intern will be offered Icelandi
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program