- Kigali, Rwanda
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Summer, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Rwanda has recently emerged as one of the most innovative and successful countries in Africa. It is often presented as a success story when it comes to women’s empowerment, especially in the political field. While it is one of the few countries with a majority female legislature, Rwandan women, nonetheless, face some important challenges. This program will give you the opportunity to explore the intricacies of women’s social, economic, and political standings in this East African nation through an online seminar, followed by a three-week in-country experience. This program draws on critical African women’s studies, contemporary feminist theories, and theories of social change and social transformation to understand the main issues affecting Rwandans, with a strong focus on women. You will also learn about Rwandan women’s engagements with concepts of and experiences with gender identity, sexuality, patriarchy, masculinity, sexual harassment, rape, social inequalities, among other issues. In addition, you will examine the current political, social, economic, legal, and cultural reforms that have molded Rwanda’s gender politics. You will also have the opportunity to meet, discuss, and learn about the impact of those reforms from Rwandan women, scholars, activists, and political leaders.
- Explore gender politics and women’s rights in Rwanda, a country known for its commitment to gender equality.
- Examine the impact of female political empowerment on other women’s rights initiatives.
- Experience daily life during a two-week homestay with a Rwandan family. (J-term)
- Engage with scholars, practitioners, activists, and other experts on excursions and site visits. (J-term)
This course offers three weeks of online study and three weeks abroad. The online course is open to all applicants; the in-person J-term is open to college undergraduates who have completed the online term.
- Please visit our website.
Additional Program Information
- Students are required to complete summer online portion of this program before proceeding to the J-term.
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program