This interdisciplinary program is designed to provide students with an understanding of social, political, and economic change within the Indian context by exploring both the historical and contemporary dynamics of India's colonial past and present frenet
- Jaipur, India
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Explore the socioeconomic development trends in northern India and the tensions and challenges shaping India today.
This program examines the diverse factors, internal and global, shaping India's development strategies and patterns. Students gain foundational knowledge of India’s past, present, and future development paradigms, economic growth, and social change.
The program is based in Jaipur, a bustling hub of NGOs engaged in development projects, social justice initiatives, and political activism. Jaipur is the capital city of the state of Rajasthan, historically a princely and aristocratic state, and a center of Hindu, Jain, and Muslim traditions.
This interdisciplinary program is designed to provide students with an understanding of social, political, and economic change within the Indian context by exploring both the historical and contemporary dynamics of India's colonial past and present frenetic growth. Students consider the most effective transformative tools for India in the 21st century, and examine the notion of "Indian culture" from both anthropological and contemporary Indian political perspectives. The Field Study Seminar addresses culturally appropriate, ethical field methodology, in preparation for the Independent Study Project (ISP). Study of Hindi opens windows into the culture and the theme of the program.
Please inquire for costs: Fees include tuition, full room and board, all field trips and related fares, health and accident insurance, and other direct program expenses. Participants pay for international airfare and domestic travel to the point of departure from the USA.
- Setting Description:
- Live and study in Jaipur: Witness the daily dichotomy of provincial and modern characterizing much of contemporary India In Jaipur, students begin thematic coursework, language study, and the Field Study Seminar while enjoying access to academics, professional associations, and grassroots organizers working in areas such as relief funds, resource management, and poverty alleviation. Jaipur presents itself as a wealthy and regal city containing stately, tree-lined, and clean streets, contemporary architecture, palaces and forts, five-star hotels, and a thriving tourism industry. However, the largely rural and agricultural state of Rajasthan is one of the most underdeveloped regions in India, and Jaipur, the state's capital city, reflects this reality. Rural and urban youth throughout the region struggle with problems ranging from life-threatening droughts to admission to prestigious universities. Organizations supported by concerned urban citizens are seeking innovative ways to address
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program