- Washington, United States; Brasilia, Brazil; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Chennai, India; Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Investigate how communities can ensure the health and well-being of all citizens amid mounting challenges created by changing economic, environmental, and social forces.
The program takes a holistic, interdisciplinary view of academic topics, drawing not only on articles and faculty lectures, but also student observations, guest lectures, and homestay interviews to facilitate learning. Assignments typically involve written essays, oral presentations, and more creative projects such as posters and photo stories.
SIT Study Abroad program fees include all courses, educational excursions, health insurance, full room, and partial board for the entire program period. Fees and additional expenses are based on all known circumstances at the time of calculation.
- Setting Description:
- What are the forces that create good public health in some communities, and ill health in others? Why have health disparities within and across countries widened, even as modern healthcare has discovered the causes of many illnesses and prevented many deaths? The Health and Community program strengthens students' ability to understand, interpret and compare the biological, ecological, economic, political, and socio-cultural factors that affect human health. Students broaden their global perspective and deepen their skills in critical and comparative thinking, while gaining practical knowledge about:
The health impacts of globalization
Comparative health systems
Governance and policymaking
Public health issues and innovative strategies to address them
Field-based research methods and analysis.
From Southeast Asia to South Africa, in city neighborhoods and rural villages, students learn to listen to and understand multiple voices: people in local c
- Contact Provider
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program