- Dakar, Senegal; New Delhi, India; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; New York City, United States
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
The Cities in the 21st Century program examines the intentional and natural forces that guide the development of the world's cities. It combines an innovative urban studies academic curriculum with fieldwork involving public agencies, planners, elected officials, NGOs, and grassroots groups in important world cities where exciting changes are taking place.
The program takes a holistic, interdisciplinary view of academic topics, drawing not only on articles and faculty lectures, but also student observations, guest lectures, and homestay interviews to facilitate learning. Assignments typically involve written essays, oral presentations, and more creative projects such as posters and photo stories.
SIT Study Abroad program fees include all courses, educational excursions, health insurance, full room, and partial board for the entire program period. Fees and additional expenses are based on all known circumstances at the time of calculation.
- Setting Description:
- Students learn how to "read a city" — an iterative process that hones the ability to observe, question, document, research, and communicate – leading to a better understanding of the interconnected social, physical, economic, environmental, and political systems that affect urban environments.
Students examine how the structure of a city enhances or impedes growth. They learn who exercises power in cities and where power comes from. And they examine the role of state and local government in formulating development policies in a changing world economy, and the challenges public policymakers face in light of increasing inequity.
The comparative approach enables students to analyze and contrast major issues across cities, and track how concerns manifest themselves in the planning process, and ultimately, in a course of action.
- Contact Provider
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.