- Asuncion, Paraguay; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Montevideo, Uruguay; Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Examine the social and economic development strategies of South America’s Southern Cone countries — Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay, and Uruguay. In this comparative study abroad program, students rapidly improve their Spanish while exploring the current economic and social realities of the countries comprising the Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR). Students visit three of the four MERCOSUR member states during group excursions. Major topics of study include: Social realities and changing political frameworks in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay Theory and development practice from economic, environmental, and human perspectives Latin American integration
The program focuses heavily on firsthand experience. In Buenos Aires students visit a variety of social actors, including representatives of grassroots movements, local government agencies, worker-run enterprises, and housing cooperatives. Students observe the consequences of Argentina’s 2001-2002 economic crisis on various aspects of life and the coping strategies that are being implemented. As they spend time in different MERCOSUR states, they greatly expand their knowledge of the region’s history; recent political and economic changes; the significance and role of grassroots movements; and the economic, cultural, and social aspects of regional integration.
Please inquire for costs: Fees include tuition, full room and board, all field trips and related fares, health and accident insurance, and other direct program expenses. Participants pay for international airfare and domestic travel to the point of departure from the USA.
- Setting Description:
- The Argentina: Transnationalism and Comparative Development in South America program includes an urban and rural homestay, exposing students to a diversity of Argentine communities and environments. Other accommodations during the program include small hotels and hostels.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.