- Antarctica, Antarctica; Ushuaia, Argentina
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Learn about the environmental characteristics of Southern Patagonia and Antarctica from your home base in Ushuaia, the southern-most city in the world.
Deepen your knowledge and understanding of the economic and geopolitical importance of the Southern Ocean and Antarctica.
See Southern Patagonia's unique biodiversity, ecology, and conservation issues on site visits to Tierra del Fuego National Park, the Beagle Channel, Puerto Williams, Estancia Harberton (the first European settlement in Tierra del Fuego), and Rio Grande.
Through classes with professors, researchers, managers, educators, conservationists and entrepreneurs students will become familiar with and learn about the local and regional environmental challenges.
Additional Program Information
- Previous college-level coursework and/or significant preparation in environmental studies, ecology, biology, or related fields, as assessed by SIT. Three recent semesters of college-level Spanish or the equivalent and the ability to follow coursework in Spanish, as assessed by SIT.
- Scholarships Description:
- Please see our website for more information.
Based on 2 Reviews
- Lots of class time in a beautiful location01/16/20
If you are looking for a cultural and language immersion experience, this may not be it. Classes are taught in Spanish but the 9-to-5 schedule leaves little time for external cultural activities and most interactions are with fellow SIT students (in English).
However, every other aspect of this program makes up for that. The scenery is stunning (Antarctica especially!) and the material in class paints a nuanced picture of the ecological and human challenges of climate change in this unique region. Ushuaia is a small and very safe city. Local cuisine was not a highlight, but my host family was very accommodating of my vegetarian diet.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Amazing outdoors and place-based learning experience01/09/20
The location was beautiful, the material was interesting and relevant to understanding the culture, society, ecology and economy of Ushuaia, the outdoors were so accessible, and the people are kind, helpful and amazing! I found another place to call home,
I became more independent, my Spanish improved a lot, made friends from places all over the US, and spent a lot of time outdoors! It was 100% worth it. I felt very safe walking around by myself, food is affordable, and it's a great environment to continue learning or practice Spanish.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend