- All Saints, Antigua and Barbuda; Horta, Portugal; Road Town, Virgin Island (British); Caribbean, Caribbean; Barcelona, Spain; Gibraltar, Gibraltar; Palma, Spain; Rome, Italy; Monte-Carlo, Monaco; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Programs at Sea, Programs at Sea; Nice, France
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
4,500 Nautical Miles via British Virgin Islands, Azores, Gibraltar, Spain
We've been crossing oceans aboard our 112-ft modern schooners since 2006, but this trip is your opportunity to do something truly remarkable and sail across the Atlantic Ocean.
It all starts in June when we depart from the British Virgin Islands bound for the very beautiful French Riviera via the Azores, Gibraltar, and Spain. By necessity, this 40-day program will substitute shore time for sea miles as we'll be covering 4,500 plus miles over the course of the trip. Voyage emphasis? Bluewater sailing, and lots of it! Crewing a yacht on a transatlantic voyage is not something many can say they have achieved, yet members of our crew will also earn 3 college credits in Nautical Science and visit Caribbean, Portuguese, British, Spanish and French ports along the way. As a team, your sense of accomplishment will be profound, and as an individual, the experience will set you apart. The skills you'll develop and the challenges you'll overcome are uncommon. Not only a perfect subject for any job interview, but this voyage is also likely to contribute long after you have departed the vessel. After all, we are the sum of our experiences and this one will be indexing.
- Setting Description:
- This voyage is typically run aboard either S/Y Argo or S/Y Vela. Argo and Vela are expertly designed 112-ft two-masted staysail schooners with room for 26 students and 7 staff. Argo was completed in 2006, and her sister, Vela in 2020. Both Argo and Vela were designed and built to circumnavigate the world. This means that every 90-day trip she embarks upon, a fresh batch of students faces the challenge of spending many days or weeks at sea while crossing one of the world’s oceans. For those looking for a genuine blue water experience, then voyages run aboard these vessels are perfect for you. When we designed the vessels, we did so with safety, dependability and ‘trainability’ in mind. We often refer to them as a “Big, Little Boats” meaning that we designed their systems in such a way that they are easy for students to understand and operate. Since our goal is to have students quickly reach the point where they are running the vessel, trainability is an important factor.
- Voyage costs vary by trip duration and location, please visit our website for detailed tuition information.
Additional Program Information
- No previous experience necessary is necessary to join any of our programs, yet all students are required to have reached the age of matriculation from high school, be on a gap year or enrolled in / recently graduated from college.
- Scholarships Description:
- Please visit the Scholarship and Financial Aid page on our website for detailed information. This is located under the Admissions section.
Based on 1 Reviews
- My Argo Adventure03/22/17
I came onto this voyage, excited but not really knowing what to expect, I came out of it with a better understanding and new sense of the world. The trip was phenomenal and I am 100% glad I did it. Ever since I was little, my big dream was to do an
Ocean Crossing, and this trip allowed me to follow my dreams. The smell of the fresh ocean air mixed with the sight of nothing but ocean for miles in any direction is incredible, but also very hard to describe to people who have not experienced it. We started out in the BVIs with stops along the way to eventually get to our final destination of France. Along the way, we were doing everything on board. We took turns helming, going on watch, cooking our meals, cleaning up and more. You were a full member of the crew, and had the responsibilities as such. On top of that, we were also taking an oceanography class, which you may be able to get college credit for. It sounds like a lot, but it is completely manageable and you will never be bored. This was an experience that I will never forget and I hope you get the opportunity to as experience it as well.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend