The SEA Summer Session is the perfect summer program for any student interested in taking a firsthand look at the oceans. The Summer Session attracts students from all majors who are interested in gaining an in-depth understanding of our world's oceans: b
- Programs at Sea, Programs at Sea
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- The SEA Summer Session is the perfect summer program for any student interested in taking a firsthand look at the oceans. The Summer Session attracts students from all majors who are interested in gaining an in-depth understanding of our world's oceans: both science majors who are looking for field research opportunities, and non-science majors who are hoping to fulfill science requirements in a hands-on way! While there is an emphasis on oceanography, the curriculum is designed for students representing a wide diversity of backgrounds and interests. Because the program combines multiple academic disciplines, it draws students from majors as varied as history, environmental science, biology, journalism, and studio art. SEA Semester provides an experiential opportunity to gather firsthand knowledge that will influence your lifelong relationship with the ocean. As our society becomes more aware of how integral the oceans are to the planet, from climate patterns to energy production to the origins of life itself, we must also understand how to conserve these important resources. Moving beyond the textbook toward practical application, hands-on research, and personal experience, SEA Semester prepares students to take a more active role in solving today’s environmental problems. Isn’t it worth one semester to study three-quarters of the world?
- Setting Description:
- ON SHORE IN WOODS HOLE: During the 4-week shore component, intensive academic coursework prepares students for their research cruise. With full access to SEA faculty and the world-renowned Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution/Marine Biological Laboratory Library, students design original research projects to be completed at sea. Maritime Studies provides a wider historical and social perspective on the impact of humans on the world's oceans, and on the experience of going to sea. Nautical Science introduces practical seamanship skills and the theoretical background necessary to safely operate a tall ship on the open ocean. AT SEA IN THE PACIFIC: As full, working members of the scientific team and sailing crew on one of SEA's state-of-the-art research vessels, students manage shipboard operations, navigate by the stars, analyze oceanographic samples, and visit foreign ports off the beaten path. Most importantly, students learn to challenge themselves and develop new leadership, teamwor
- Visit our website for information on cost, scholarships and financial aid, and affordability.
Based on 1 Reviews
- Summer Experience12/18/15I took two weeks of my summer this year to learn more about marines biology, scuba diving, and sailing. This was by far the best trip of my life! I would 100% reccome d doing a trip like this. It is completely worth it!Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend