- Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Intensive Russian language study, courses on regional history and hands-on learning of the countries and cultures. Home stay, cultural program and educational travel included. Stay for a second semester to study Kyrgyz, Uzbek, Kazakh, Tadjik, Turkmen and/or Russian, conduct field or archival research, and study the issues of concern to today's Central Asia by working at a local NGO, business, or media outlet.
Central Asian Studies is an innovative program preparing students for international careers. Based in the fascinating and historically significant region of Central Asia, this program combines intensive language study with courses on regional history and the specific countries and major cultures of this diverse area. A month of home stay, an extensive cultural program and educational travel to Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are included to give a deeper understanding of what locals think and how they live. Stay for an optional second semester for continued language study and hands-on learning.
Program costs include tuition for study, visa and registration, pre-departure materials, local orientation, health and accident insurance, use of a mobile telephone for the length of the program, round-trip airport transfers, and SRAS in-country support. Includes housing: one month of homestay and housing for the rest of the program in a dormitory.
- Setting Description:
- Central Asian Studies is for adventurous students looking to understand a militarily and economically vital part of the world where Islam and Christianity, as well as Russian, Western, Chinese, and local interests mix and sometimes collide. You'll gain a wider, fuller, first-hand perspective on geopolitics and foreign relations for your future in government, business, or academia.
- See the SRAS website for more details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- SRAS offers two funding opportunities: Challenge Grants:Writing grants; stackable grants; matching grants; alumni grants; military grants; and more! Home and Abroad: Add a resume-building internship and up to $10,000 in funding to your SRAS program.