Students gain a background in the traditions of cinema and the theories of storytelling and image making.
- Savannah, United States
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Film & Television
- Program Description:
- The M.A. program in cinema studies highlights important developments and movements in filmmaking. Special attention is given to social, cultural and political backgrounds that have influenced cinema. Students become familiar with the language of cinema to support their understanding of various genres, alternative modes, and national and ethnic thematic motivations. The program is based in a diverse learning environment. In addition to courses dedicated to cinema history and theory, students may explore animation and film production, and take elective courses in literature and art history. Graduate seminar topics have included cinema of the Middle East, literary films, jungle movies, ethnographic cinema, Romanticism and others. The potential combination of an M.A. in cinema studies and an M.F.A. in film and television offers students an opportunity to gain a thorough understanding of cinema in its historical, cultural, technological and aesthetic specificity, while also putting that knowledge into practice.
Additional Program Information
- The Savannah College of Art and Design is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
- SCAD encourages applications from students who demonstrate successful completion of appropriate coursework on the undergraduate level and adequate preparedness to undertake graduate-level study. Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or should anticipate completion of a bachelor’s degree before enrollment in the graduate program. All applicants are evaluated individually according to previous educational experience and level of achievement. Please see website for admission information.
- International Requirements:
- SCAD welcomes students from throughout the world. Please see website for international student requirements.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program