- Sydney, Australia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Enjoy Sydney’s natural beauty, from world-class beaches to the dramatic Blue Mountains, while immersing yourself in the surf culture that is so prevalent in coastal Australia. Discover why surfing in Australia is far beyond simply a sport; it's a lifestyle, a cultural phenomenon and integral to the Australian economy. After bringing in the New Year with a spectacular show of fireworks in Sydney, spend a week at a surf camp to hone your surfing skills. As part of the curriculum, study and practice the principles of stretching and relaxation, with daily yoga and stretch classes to complement the surfing activities.
The SBCC Semester Abroad in Sydney includes excursions and field trips within the Sydney area, such as the Bondi to Coogee Trail and the Blue Mountains. The program is academic in nature, but it also provides you with the opportunity to make new friends, develop confidence in travelling, and become immersed in Sydney's rich, multicultural history.
To acquaint program participants with the cultural aspects of life in Sydney, Australia a series of mandatory as well as optional free or inexpensive activities is planned, which varies but often includes lectures on local customs and contemporary issues, sports events, walking tours, sight visits, or dinners. The below excursions are included in the program (subject to change):
- 5 nights in the Bondi Junction area of Sydney
- 7 -day surf course at the AST surf camp in Thirroul beach, 1 hour south of Sydney
- Day tour to the Blue Mountain including Scenic World and Featherdale Wildlife Park
- Walking tour of central Sydney
- Bondi Beach to Coogee Beach Coastal Walking Tour
Program Dates: December 26, 2020 - January 9, 2021
- Setting Description:
- 5 nights accommodations in 3-bedroom apartments in the Bondi Junction area of Sydney with 2 students per bedroom. 7 nights accommodation at the AST surf camp in Thirroul beach, 1 hour south of Sydney, in twin and triple occupancy.
- 46 per unit USD. Program cost is $2,995. International and out-of-state students have to pay International/ out-of-state tuition. Please contact the office for additional information.
Additional Program Information
- You do not have to be currently enrolled at SBCC to apply for the program. However, you must meet the following requirements to participate in the program: Must enroll at SBCC for the spring 2021 semester upon acceptance in the program (once enrollment is open) Must be in good academic standing Must be at least 18 years old on the day of departure Must successfuly complete the application process Students must be able to demonstrate an ability to swim competently nonstop for 100 meters no later than one month prior to departure *set up time with instructor once you have received the notice that the 20 student minimum has been reached There is no major or language requirement for this program. Acceptance and participation in the program is not guaranteed until you have completed the interview with the program director and all required documents are received by the Study Abroad office.
- Scholarships Description:
- SBCC offers a limited number of scholarships for qualified study abroad program participants. To access the scholarship application, please visit the SBCC Scholarships website and complete the online application.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program