- Aachen, Germany
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Engineering Management, Engineering Management
- Program Description:
Graduates with the skills to understand both the art of management and complex engineering processes are increasingly sought after in today's industrial world. The Master of Science in Management and Engineering in Production Systems is a unique program run as a cooperation between two top European universities, both highly reputable in their respective fields. RWTH Aachen University in Germany boasts one of the best faculties of mechanical engineering in the world and runs the program’s engineering part. Maastricht School of Management (MSM) in the Netherlands has a worldwide reputation for its programs in business and management.
The program comprises two semesters of lectures, exercises and practical courses in engineering at RWTH Aachen and an eighteen-week management training block at Maastricht School of Management (MSM) in the Netherlands.
The engineering part of the program covers three main topic areas: production technology, production systems and production-related processes. The course of study particularly focuses on industrial R&D practice in the four areas of organization, manufacturing technology, production machines and resources, and quality management. Research directly impacts the curriculum, ensuring that you are exposed to the most up-to-date information and practices possible.
During the management training block at MSM, you will be trained to solve problems related to global transformation and sustainable competitiveness, organization development, and international project management in small groups. In addition, RWTH School of Business and Economics teaches three management modules during the first year in Aachen.
The final Master's thesis is an independent, pre-defined project to be completed within a fixed period of four months and can be written either at RWTH Aachen or Maastricht School of Management. The Master's thesis is generally concluded by an oral presentation.
Interdisciplinary Teaching and Learning
The engineering part of the program will be run by WZL – Laboratory for Machine Tools of RWTH Aachen University. The Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering is led by four professors: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Christian Brecher, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Fritz Klocke, Prof. Dr.-Ing. Robert Schmitt and Prof. Dr.-Ing. Günther Schuh. For many decades now, the Laboratory for Machine Tools and Production Engineering has enjoyed a worldwide reputation for successful and progressive research and innovation in the area of production engineering. Research activities cover eight different areas and not only relate to fundamental theories and findings, but also to the application of findings in an industrial context. Furthermore, they develop practical solutions to rationalize production.
The WZL is also part of the Cluster of Excellence- Integrative Production Technology for High-Wage Countries. In this Cluster of Excellence, more than 20 institutes for material and production technology cooperate at RWTH Aachen in conducting research on the fundamentals of a sustainable production strategy. The cluster's aim is to assure production in high-wage countries whilst also taking the dynamic framework of a world affected by globalization into account.
Maastricht School of Management contributes the business component to this program. You will be trained as globally oriented managers with a solid knowledge of core management processes and an understanding of the major social and environmental issues that set the scene for business processes in emerging economies. Throughout the program, you will be challenged to explore feasible innovations that balance business and development perspectives.
Our engineering graduates...
- work at companies such as Anvis, BASF, Continental, Fiat, Ford, Kautex, Liebherr, Rolls Royce, Toyota, Volkswagen
- are very successful on the job market: half of our graduates find employment within a month of graduating and two thirds within three months
- increase their salary by more than 50% (about 40 %).
This M.Sc. program provides the professional foundation for industrial engineering specialists. Industrial engineers that stand out for their ability to integrate scientific principles, engineering knowledge, and management techniques for innovative problem solving.
- Setting Description:
- Aachen is a safe, open-minded, multicultural student city, located right at the “Border Triangle”, where the borders of Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands meet. One of the many attractions of living in this area are the short travel distances to cities such as Amsterdam, Brussels, Cologne or even Paris. The living costs in Aachen are low in comparison to other European or German cities. In big cities like Munich, Hamburg or Cologne, rents are much higher than in Aachen. The historic city center of Aachen looks back on a history of thousands of years, with the imperial cathedral as its focal point.
- 5,900 EUR. Tuition fee: 5,900 euros per semester (23,600 EUR in total; 4 semester regular study period) Semester fee at the RWTH Aachen University: around 245 EUR per semester. Administration fee for Maastricht School of Management: around 150 EUR per semester (applies only for the semester in Maastricht)
Additional Program Information
- RWTH Aachen University and RWTH International Academy's partner for certification of quality management systems in systems accreditation is 'ASIIN e.V.' This accreditation agency for degree programs sets standards for programs in engineering, computer science, natural sciences, mathematics, and teaching qualifications. All Master's programs offered in cooperation with the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering of RWTH Aachen and RWTH International Academy have been accredited by ASIIN. The accreditation needs to be updated at regular intervals to ensure a continuous level of quality maintenance and improvement.
- First Degree: A Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline, such as Automotive, Aerospace or Energy Engineering, Manufacturing, Structural, Industrial or Production Engineering, awarded by an internationally recognized university-level institution. Fundamental knowledge in the following subjects: - Fundamentals in Engineering, Mathematics and Natural Sciences: Mathematics, Mechanics, Material Science, Thermodynamics, Informatics/Programming/Computer Science, Physics, Technical Drawing, CAD - Specific Fundamentals: Fluid Dynamics, Automatic Control, Design Engineering, Production Management, Machine Tools, Manufacturing Technology, Electrical Drives, Quality Management - Fundamentals in Management:* Management and Entrepreneurship, Accounting, Production and Logistics, Marketing, Corporate Finance *may be completed in an online course.
- Scholarships Description:
- For a comprehensive overview of possible scholarships, please see our website.