We believe that the most effective and sustainable way to protect the Amazon is to show it's value in a tangible way. To do that, Rios Nete is building a health and research center in the upper Peruvian Amazon to investigate medicinal plants and the cultu
- Moyobamba, Peru
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Environment, Health
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Runa Foundation is offering interns and volunteers a new and unique opportunity in Peru! We are constantly looking for new ways of sustainable development in the Amazon and we've created a new partnership with Fundación Rios Nete.
Rios Nete is a newly formed organization that has partnered with Runa Foundation. Both organizations towards expanding the production of guayusa in Peru and investigate other amazonian plants and their uses within indigenous communities.
We believe that the most effective and sustainable way to protect the Amazon is to show it's value in a tangible way. To do that, Rios Nete is building a health and research center in the upper Peruvian Amazon to investigate medicinal plants and the cultural importance that's embodied in traditional healing practices. Through our research, we are looking for ways to revolutionize medicine that focuses on diseases and chronic diseases where Westernized medicine has fallen short. Through researching the efficacy of traditional healing practices of the Shipibo people, we hope to bring these medicinal alternatives to the international community. Check out our internship programs on our website. We offer programs focusing on: Public Health and Traditional Medicine Sustainable Agricultural Design Community Development Ethnobotany Agricultural Cooperative Outreach
Application Process: Please send the following directly to our Program Manager, Lindsay McGeehon. 1. A simple resume 2. Letter of intent (including which project you are applying for and why you want to intern) 3. Two references (email addresses are OK) If you are interested in working with us or have any questions about the internship program please send an email directly.
- Setting Description:
- Rios Nete aims to add value to natural and cultural resources of the Amazon and bring that value to local communities. A part of the equation is linking local people to markets through the establishment of equitable value chains and sustainable production systems. Working towards sustainable development involves collaboration with local communities to understand their situation and priorities, and helping to strengthen local capacity to achieve its goals. We are currently finalizing the design and begin construction on the site of the healing center of Nete Rios, will be the epicenter of activities Rios Nete in the future. The land is located in the beautiful montane region of the Upper Amazon in the small community of Huapo, outside of Tarapoto, Peru.
- 8 weeks room and program fees………..$1600 10 weeks room and program fees............$2000 Additional weeks……………………….....$200/week *Program fees include living accommodations. Travel expenses and food are not included.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program