Intern Duties Create a baseline monitoring system of extractive economic and non-economic activities that occur in communal forest reserves and protected areas. Implement a household-level economic analysis of agricultural and non-agricultural economic ac
- Tena, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Economic Development, Environment, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- Runa Foundation is implementing a project funded by the MacArthur Foundation to work with three pilot communities to develop integrative forest management plans. This includes sustainable forest management, agroforestry production, and community forest investment plans. Our conservation interns will work with Runa Foundation staff in these three pilot communities to implement a baseline survey with community members to determine current forest management practices.
Intern Duties Create a baseline monitoring system of extractive economic and non-economic activities that occur in communal forest reserves and protected areas. Implement a household-level economic analysis of agricultural and non-agricultural economic activities. Use GIS to create maps that outline areas of production, conservation, and communal reserves. Create a feasibility study for generating payments for ecosystem services through a local water tax fund. Qualifications This internship is geared towards undergraduate and graduate students majoring in environmental science, policy, business, agriculture, or a related field. Proficiency in English and Spanish is required. Experience in Latin America and/or working in a rural setting is a plus.
Please send the following directly to our Program Manager, Lindsay McGeehon. 1. A simple resume 2. Letter of intent (including which project you are applying for and why you want to intern) 3. Two references (email addresses are OK) If you are interested in working with us or have any questions about the internship program please send an email. Dates: Winter Internship: January 6th - March 7th 2015 Spring Internship: March 10th - May 16th 2015 Summer Internship: June 17th - August 23rd 2015 Fall Internship: October 16th – November 15th 2015 *Dates can be flexible except for the Summer Internship
- Setting Description:
- Runa Foundation is the non-profit branch of Runa based in Ecuador and Peru. We aim to provide tools and resources to indigenous communities and farmers’ associations, working towards their vision of sustainable development in the Ecuadorian and Peruvian Amazon. We focus on three core areas: social empowerment, community development, and environmental management. We are looking for motivated, enthusiastic and adventurous interns to join us in the Amazon rainforest and help support the growth of this budding social enterprise. Interns with Runa Foundation will have the chance to take on ground-breaking research in a range of areas which are essential for the growth and development of Guayusa and the communities Runa works with. Interns will work alongside our experienced technicians and engineers in the field, and also have the chance to participate in cultural exchange events and guayusa ceremonies.
- Costs: 8 weeks room and program fees………..$1600 10 weeks room and program fees............$2000 Additional weeks………………………....$200/week Optional Homestay fee...........................$60/week (Homestay includes all meals, lodging and transportation to/from homestay community) *Program fees include living accommodations. Food and travel expenses are not included
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program