- Chiang Mai, Thailand; Hanoi, Viet Nam; Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam; Vientiane, Lao People's Democratic Republic; Krong Kaoh Kong, Cambodia; Krabi, Thailand; Bangkok, Thailand; Louangphrabang, Lao People's Democratic Republic; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Hue, Viet Nam; Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Business, Education, Hospitality, Sciences & Environment, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
Develop a global perspective, independence, leadership and communication skills through outdoor expeditions, service learning projects, and authentic cultural immersion. Pacific Discovery programs foster empathy for other cultures, ethical and sustainable travel practices, and awareness of international issues. Students leave with a deepened sense of their identity, passion, and purpose.
Pacific Discovery is a global leader in experiential education, offering inspiring summer, semester, and gap year programs abroad since 2001, and is an inaugural member of the American Gap Association.
- Visit our website to request a detailed information booklet for this program –
On our Southeast Asia Semester, you'll travel in a fun, safe and supportive small group with two experienced international instructors to facilitate and mentor your experience. You'll get involved in rewarding service learning projects in wildlife conservation and community development. We will hike, boat, bike, raft and snorkel through diverse national parks. You will also have many opportunities for meaningful connections with local people that will deepen your own global perspective. We encourage you to challenge your personal barriers and support the development of your leadership skills, resourcefulness, resilience, and independence. Pacific Discovery is committed to sustainability and ethical travel, which we'll be practicing throughout the program.
- Volunteer in service learning projects in Elephant Conservation, and in Community Development where we build a home for a marginalized family
- Develop skills in independent travel, leadership, meditation, yoga, local cooking, climbing, kayaking, trekking, snorkelling
- Work together to plan the student-led section - developing your international travel skills
- Explore Southeast Asia's highlights - temples, cities, world heritage sites, islands, beaches, national parks
- Experience transformative personal growth that pushes students to reflect and ask questions of themselves, working towards a deeper understanding of their values, identity, passions and purpose.
10-week program for ages 18-24. Fall and Spring departures. Scholarships and academic credit available.
- Setting Description:
- Southeast Asia is a fascinating blend of cultures and ecosystems ideally suited for an extraordinary educational travel experience. The region really can’t be beat for the sheer diversity of cultures, histories, and landscapes in a geographically small area. From large and modern urban centers to remote indigenous communities, you will experience a wide variety of contexts that help us explore this interconnected world we live in. Throughout the program, we will stay in a variety of accommodations: locally run guesthouses, a Buddhist meditation center, and host families’ homes in two countries.
- 10500 USD. See our site for updated tuition breakdown and to download an information booklet. Program costs includes: • All necessary visas and transport, including four mid-program flights • All accommodation and meals • All excursions and entry fees listed in the itinerary • Contribution to our service learning project sites • Experienced Program Instructors and local guides • Global medical rescue and political evacuation insurance • 24/7 emergency contact number for families • Online image library
Additional Program Information