- Cusco, Peru; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Quito, Ecuador
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Environment, Social Services, Translation
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
Develop a global perspective, independence, leadership and Spanish skills through outdoor expeditions, service learning projects, and authentic cultural and language immersion. Pacific Discovery programs foster empathy for other cultures, ethical and sustainable travel practices, and awareness of international issues. Students leave with a deepened sense of their identity, passion, and purpose.
Pacific Discovery is a global leader in experiential education, offering inspiring summer, semester, and gap year programs abroad since 2001, and is an inaugural member of the American Gap Association.
- Visit our website to request a detailed information booklet for this program –
On our South America Semester, you'll travel in a fun, safe and supportive group of 14 students with two instructors to facilitate and mentor your experience. Join us to gain insight into the lives of indigenous Andean and Amazon communities while significantly improving your conversational Spanish ability. Participate in worthwhile community-initiated volunteer projects, wander the ancient streets of Quito and Cuzco, and be astounded by Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, and the incredible Galapagos Islands. You will trek, raft, cycle, and snorkel through a range of environments from Andean peaks to the Amazon. You will also have many opportunities for meaningful connections with local people that will deepen your global perspective and strengthen your Spanish skills. We support you to develop your leadership skills, resourcefulness, resilience, and independence. Pacific Discovery is committed to sustainability and ethical travel, which we'll be practicing throughout the program.
- Practice and grow your Spanish language skills through immersion and homestays.
- Volunteer in service learning projects with the Llama Pack Project, and in Community Development in the village of Agato.
- Develop skills in independent travel, communication, leadership, rafting, trekking, sustainability, conservation and snorkeling
- Explore South America's highlights – Machu Picchu, The Sacred Valley, Lake Titicaca, The Amazon River, Galapagos Islands, world heritage sites, Incan Ruins, beaches and national parks
- Experience transformative personal growth that pushes students to reflect and ask questions of themselves, working towards a deeper understanding of their values, identity, passions and purpose.
10-week program for ages 18-24. Fall and Spring departures. Scholarships and academic credit available.
- Setting Description:
- Ecuador and Peru are full of biodiversity hotspots and home to over 65 indigenous nations. This program allows you to connect deeply with some incredible communities in remote parts of the region. Throughout the program, you will stay in a variety of accommodations: locally run guesthouses, hostels, and host families’ homes in both countries.
- 11250 USD. See our site for updated tuition breakdown and to download an information booklet.
Program costs includes: • All necessary visas and transport, including four mid-program flights • All accommodation and meals • All excursions and entry fees listed in the itinerary • Contribution to our service learning project sites • Experienced Program Instructors and local guides • Global medical rescue and political evacuation insurance • 24/7 emergency contact number for families • Online image library
Additional Program Information