- Auckland, New Zealand; Multi-Country Programs, Multi-Country Programs; Nelson, New Zealand; Wellington, New Zealand; Nadi, Fiji
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Arts, Environment, Social Services
- 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months
- Program Description:
- Two weeks of rewarding volunteer conservation projects in National Parks and wildlife reserves, partnering with New Zealand’s Department of Conservation: Week One: Based from Mimiwhangata Coastal and Marine Park in Northland. Week Two: Based from Golden Bay with work in the Abel Tasman National Park & other regional reserves.
- Adventure caving trip in Waitomo's limestone caves (no experience needed)
- Enjoying culture and nightlife in the friendly cities of Auckland and Wellington
- Rock climbing at Castle Rock (no experience needed)
- Exciting white water rafting trip on the Kaituna River (no experience needed)
- Soaking in natural hot springs
- Wellington daytrip - New Zealand's vibrant capital - Parliament tour, NZ's National Museum
- Mountain biking in Nelson (no experience needed)
- 5 nights at a beachside resort in the spectacular Yasawa Islands of Fiji
- Intro scuba diving (no experience needed)
- Interpretive visit to a traditional Fijian village
- Informal lectures and discussions on history, culture, society and environment
- Very personalized small group experience of just 10-14 participants (compare with other programs of up to 40 students).
- Experienced and inspiring Pacific Discovery program leader/s supported by local guides
Immerse yourself in New Zealand and Fiji’s incredible environments and unique cultures. This one month summer program combines two weeks of hands-on and rewarding service-learning conservation work in some of the New Zealand’s most interesting national parks and reserves, and two weeks of adventurous travel as we road-trip through New Zealand and enjoy the spectacularly beautiful Yasawa Islands in Fiji. Try mountain-biking, rafting, climbing, caving, snorkeling and scuba diving. Visit ‘The Shire’ (Lord of the Rings movie set). Explore vibrant Auckland and Wellington. Learn about New Zealand Maori history and culture, and contrast this with indigenous Fijian culture. Throughout your time in New Zealand and Fiji you'll learn an enormous amount about both countries environmental and ecological history and how that unique history has shaped each countries flora, fauna and people.
Option to combine with our Australia Summer Program, for an incredible 2-month experience in Australia, New Zealand & Fiji.
Facilitated by our inspiring and experienced program leaders, this is an excellent study abroad or gap year option for students or graduates wanting to develop personal and leadership skills, and be exposed to and immersed in countries different to their own. Optional transferable academic credit available to all participants.
This educational travel program is suitable for high school graduates, gap year students, college students and graduates, ideally 18-23 years.
Program fee inclusions
Visa; All in-country travel and transport; All accommodation; Most meals; 2 weeks of volunteer conservation projects; Lectures from resident experts on conservation and eco-tourism; All excursions and activities as described in the itinerary (unless noted as optional); Experienced New Zealand program leader/s; Online image library for your program. Refer information booklet for international flight options.
- Setting Description:
- New Zealand has enjoyed 100 million years of isolation since it separated from the southern super continent Gondwana, sinking into and rising again from the ocean. This sinking, rising and isolation from other landmasses (Australia is 1300 miles away), protected unusual eco-systems where birds filled all the major niches usually taken by mammals. These eco-systems were radically compromised by colonization and the introduction of new animal species - first from the indigenous Maori some 800 years ago and more recently by European settlers. On this program you will get a hands-on introduction to strategies initiated to protect and care for these eco-systems and the plants and wildlife they contain.
Fiji is a ‘tropical paradise’ of over 300 islands with forests, sandy beaches, coral reefs, and gorgeous clear waters. The Yasawa Islands are volcanic in origin and fringed by spectacular beaches and reefs. Fiji is home to people with a vibrant culture rich in music and dance, arts,
- All inclusive program – see the Pacific Discovery website for current program fee and inclusions, to print information booklet and view the program slideshow.
Additional Program Information
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program