- Madrid, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
January 6 - 18, 2020, Surveillance, looking from above, is the right to inspect exercised by the society of control that cross-cuts CCTV cameras, biometrics, drone planes, border checkpoints, Amazon-Facebook algorithms, architectural design and the fashioning of historical memory and forgetfulness. Sousveillance, looking from below, generates visual resistance and cultural counter-memory through mobile personal media, on-line activism, street art, urban subcultures and alternative archives that dramatize social inequities and human rights violations. The two gazes now watch each other. They pose the act of looking itself as an intervention that transforms what is seen. The city of Madrid will be re-mapped as a laboratory of conflicting visual history and visual politics through field trips to the Prado and other museums, architectural walks, social activist and artist squats (centros sociales okupados) immigrant rights centers, the visual archives of the Spanish Civil War Memory Project and street art and graffiti tours.
- Priority Deadline: September 15, 2019
- General Deadline: November 1, 2019*
*Admission continues thereafter on a space-available basis.
- Steinhardt Graduate Tuition Fee (3 credits) - $5,385
- Graduate Registration and Services Fees - $651
- Housing Fee - $700
- Activity Fee - $400
- GeoBlue International Health Insurance - Included
Estimated Direct Cost Total - $7,136
PLEASE NOTE: Students are responsible for purchase of transportation and airfare to/from program location. All students participating in the program are required to live in NYU-provided housing. Students are responsible for their own accommodations for travel beyond the program dates.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Students can transfer their federal financial aid from their home institution to help pay for their tuition at NYU Shanghai. Visit the financial aid office at your home school to learn more about consortium agreements.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program