In addition to the academic content, this course provides an introduction to the vibrant culture and life of Brazil. We visit three distinct regions and include historical and sightseeing tours to complement the academic program. You will experience life
- Rio De Janeiro, Brazil; Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
- Through this intensive, three-week study abroad program, you will experience life and culture in Brazil while gaining an understanding of critical issues in access to higher education.
Brazil has the largest and best higher education system in Latin America, but it is also one of the most unequal in terms of access. In the past 10 years, Brazil has adopted the most ambitious and transformative affirmative action policies in the world. And yet, there are still questions about who is white in Brazil, and who is black. In addition, affirmative action policies are also tied to socioeconomic status. How do Brazil’s sweeping, new affirmative action policies take this into account? And what are the implications for students and institutions? We will delve into a great national debate, engaging with university presidents, faculty, students and administrators, policymakers, activists, and researchers.
In addition to the academic content, this course provides an introduction to the vibrant culture and life of Brazil. We visit three distinct regions and include historical and sightseeing tours to complement the academic program. You will experience life in three cultural capitals—São Paulo, Salvador da Bahia, and Rio de Janeiro—while we grapple with dilemmas arising from the incredible transformation of Brazilian higher education and society.
- 2014 Graduate Tuition: $1,422 per point plus registration and services fees 2014 Housing/Activity Fee: $2100, which includes hotel accommodations (double occupancy, two persons per room), breakfast every day, your domestic flights within Brazil, local transportation to/from site visits, cultural/scholarly event costs, and two group dinners. Students purchase their own international flights and cover most lunches and dinners and all personal expenses.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Students can transfer their federal financial aid from their home institution to help pay for their tuition at NYU Shanghai. Visit the financial aid office at your home school to learn more about consortium agreements.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program