- Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Spend three weeks in the sunny Dominican Republic this January gaining a deeper understanding of the meaning of culture and its relationship to language. You’ll explore how values, norms, and ways of thinking and interpreting the world are shaped by cultural experiences, while immersing yourself in language learning. In the process you will gain a better understanding of yourself and others.
1. Achieve a deeper understanding of what culture is and the relationship between culture and language. 2. Acquire the ability to observe behaviors in order to draw conclusions based on observation rather than preconceptions. 3. Understand culture membership, enculturation, and the process of becoming socialized into one's culture and subcultures. 4. Become acquainted with relevant research on culture and cultural behaviors, expectations, values, and norms. 5. Appreciate how culture serves as a filter that prompts the meanings that members of the culture assign to social roles, contexts, and communicative behaviors. 6. Related areas of study: Foreign Language Education TESOL International Education Bilingual Education
- Setting Description:
- Students will be housed in group housing arranged by Steinhardt Global Programs office.
- 2020 Graduate Tuition: $1,795 per point plus registration and services fees 2020 Housing and Activity Fees: $800
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Students can transfer their federal financial aid from their home institution to help pay for their tuition at NYU Shanghai. Visit the financial aid office at your home school to learn more about consortium agreements.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program