- Chinchina, Colombia
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- High School
- Work Types:
- Children, Education, Social Services
- 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months
- Program Description:
The participant of this volunteering opportunity will have direct in-class experience alongside a Colombian certified educator at a public/private school setting and have the option to lead class sessions. Depending on your experience and chosen role, as a co-teacher or a teacher assistant, you will have the unique opportunity to develop new skills for communicating and directing classes for Spanish native-speakers within their own community culture. You may choose grade level(s), subject matter, rural vs. urban, but the school will have an interest to have you incorporate teaching English as part of your contribution as a volunteer.
Participants will experience:
- Learn new leadership skills in a foreign classroom setting.
- Learn to develop lessons and teaching styles to meet the needs of unique individuals and groups abroad.
- Learn to manage professional relationships between the students of a different culture.
- Gain experience and confidence in classroom management as a lead teacher.
- Spanish immersion with teachers, students, and parents!
Potential projects and day-to-day duties:
- Lead English conversation tables for students, teachers, and/or parents.
- Promote cultural and conversational activities.
- Design class plans, reading, and oral production projects.
- Assist teaching staff.
Special Skills Desired:
- Desire to teach English a second language
- Confident to lead classes and conversation groups
- Some teaching and classroom experience
- Proactive in the classroom
- Positive, respectful, responsible and independent
- Works well in teams
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Discount based financial circumstances and need & match within the community for volunteer's existing skills.