Students at the Middlebury School Abroad in Cameroon will be based at the Université catholique d’Afrique centrale (UCAC), which enrolls 4,000 students. Courses in culture, social sciences, language, and literature will be organized for program participan
- Yaounde, Cameroon
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Work Types:
- Arts & Architecture, Education, Journalism, Psychology, Religion, Social Sciences
- Program Description:
- Intended for students with five semesters of college-level French, the School in Cameroon provides students with the opportunity to increase their language abilities through constant interaction with native speakers. Whether spending time with local students in their university classes, their colleagues at an internship placement, or in their homestays, students use their language in a very real immersion environment.
Students at the Middlebury School Abroad in Cameroon will be based at the Université catholique d’Afrique centrale (UCAC), which enrolls 4,000 students. Courses in culture, social sciences, language, and literature will be organized for program participants and taught by local faculty in French. Students are also expected to enroll in courses alongside Cameroonian students at the university, striking a balance between program and university offerings.
Participants in the C.V. Starr-Middlebury Schools Abroad don’t just study a language—they live it. Many of our students major in disciplines other than foreign languages, yet all bring a level of proficiency that supports their commitment to language and cultural immersion. They sign and honor the Middlebury Language Pledge because they want the greatest possible challenge in a study abroad program and an authentic experience in every respect; academic, social, and even professional. Participants take courses in most subjects with host country students, intern or engage in volunteer work, and live with a host family. Indeed, at every juncture of their time abroad, students have the chance to "live the language" and immerse themselves in the host culture.
- Setting Description:
- Cameroon is often described as 'Africa in miniature' because it exhibits all major climates of the continent. Home to roughly 240 ethnic groups, with as many distinct languages and dialects, diversity abounds. As its economic and political capital, Yaoundé is an ideal place for immersion into Francophone African life.
- Semester Tuition (includes room, partial board, and health insurance): $15,200. Year Tuition (includes room, partial board, and health insurance): $30,400
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program