- Dakar, Senegal
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Children, Education, Health, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-11 months
- Program Description:
Volunteers are desperately needed to assist in orphanages, nursery schools and community centers in Senegal. These facilities provide care and support for children aged 0-12 years, and in some cases up to 18 years. Some have been orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, many have families who cannot afford to support them, while others have been taken off the streets or were abandoned at birth.
Volunteer tasks on this program include teaching school-age children, counselling, helping to cook, feeding the children, cleaning, and devising and organizing fun activities and recreation.
In Yoff volunteers will assist at a local Talibe center in the community. The ‘Talibe’ are street children who often spend their days begging for money. The center provides a safe space where they can be off the streets, have lunch, showers and receive medical care and also attend lessons. The center also accepts poor children from the local community.
Volunteers can also assist at La Pouponniere. This is a project where babies whose mother passed away during birth are looked after until they are 1 year old. Volunteers spend time giving babies the 1:1 attention they need through playing with toys, listening to music and assisting with age appropriate development.
Age: 18 years +
Minimum stay: 3 Weeks
How to apply: Online Application
Start Dates: Flexible/Open Start Dates
Language: Volunteers must speak both English and French to an Intermediate level.
ABOUT LOVE VOLUNTEERS
Love Volunteers provides individuals with the chance to travel abroad and immerse in a new culture, while participating in projects that provide help where it is needed most. Join us for a truly memorable experience volunteering abroad. All volunteer projects are responsible, safe, and affordable!
Here's why more and more people are choosing to become a LOVE VOLUNTEER!
Need - We work directly with local charities on grass-roots community development projects. Our focus is on providing support where it is really needed - not holidays! We keep volunteer numbers at sustainable levels to meet the needs of each project - not to increase revenue!
Impact - By becoming a Love Volunteer you are saying to the world that you are a REAL volunteer and your focus is on supporting people and communities in need. You're not just a tourist and your goals include much more than selfies and hangovers. Your contribution with LV will be real and measurable. You will change lives, and one of them will be your own!
Safety - Your safety is our top priority. We have personally visited and regularly audit all of our projects and accommodations so you can rest assured that your needs will be met, whilst getting the most out of your experience.
Support - With dedicated in-country teams, you know you will have 24/7 support right there when you need it - guaranteed! From simply questions to hospital trips, we will ensure you are supported throughout your placement.
Communication - We pride ourselves in our reputation as always being available when you need us, dealing with your questions quickly, and being prompt with all communications. We are here to help you help the world!
Value - We strive to make volunteering abroad affordable and accessible to everyone. Our program fees are lower, our registration fees are lower - and we encourage you to compare!
Security - We have placed thousands of international volunteers in meaningful voluntary service projects around the world. We have the experience and the reputation, so you know you are in good hands!
Friendship - One of the benefits of volunteering is that you'll meet new people and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. This is one of the true benefits of volunteering and we encourage you to make the most of the unique opportunity to develop these cross-cultural friendships.
Free time - We realize that everyone needs a break and encourage our volunteers to have a look around where and when possible. All you need to do is let us know what you want to do and we will do our very best to make it happen for you!
For more information, or to join us on this exciting project, visit our website now!
- Setting Description:
- Volunteers going to Senegal have the advantage of staying with local Senegalese host families for the duration of their stay. Accommodation of this sort provides a unique opportunity to experience first-hand what life is like for the local people of Senegal, while gaining an insight into their customs and values. Another benefit is having members of the host family on hand to offer help and to introduce volunteers to the local area. The host families will provide breakfast and dinner for volunteers. On work days, lunch can be bought reasonably cheaply at markets, small cafes or restaurants close to the volunteer project.
- Included: Accommodation, 2 Meals per day, Airport Pickup, Orientation on Arrival and 24/7 In-Country Support. Not Included: Flights, Insurance, VISA, Vaccinations, Airport Transfers, In-Country Transport, and Spending Money.
Additional Program Information
- Love Volunteers welcomes all who wish to volunteer and give their time and energy to help improve the lives of others in a developing country. Whilst some programs require specific education, qualifications and experience, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program