- Kathmandu, Nepal
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Children, Education, Health, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-11 months
- Program Description:
Volunteers fulfill the monks’ desire to learn English, but are also valued for their ability to impart knowledge and insights of first aid, environmental issues, health and hygiene, as well as political issues and human rights. Volunteers generally have the opportunity to teach a range of age groups, from children through to adults.
In return, volunteers can learn about Buddhist philosophy, which is strictly followed by the monks in their daily lives. Monastery placements give volunteers the chance to reside in the monastery itself which is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Although certain subjects need to be covered, a volunteer’s involvement can be tailored somewhat to suit their own skills and interests. A willingness to share and the ability to be proactive are key requirements on this program.
The Monasteries in which we work are in Nepal are located on the outskirts of Kathmandu and in Pokhara which is around 6 hours by bus from Kathmandu. The students are Nepalese monks and nuns of all ages, as well as Tibetan monks and nuns taking refuge in Nepal.
Age: 18 years +
Minimum stay: 1 Week
How to apply: Online Application
Start Dates: Flexible/Open Start Dates
Language: All volunteers should have an excellent level of English. Knowledge of the local dialect would be beneficial but is not a pre-requisite.
- Setting Description:
- Volunteers on this program are accommodated within the monastery complex. Two home-cooked meals are provided each day and Wi-Fi and laundry services are available. Free time can be used to explore the amazing local area!
- LV Registration Fee + Programs Fees from just $265 for one week! USD. Included: Accommodation, 2 Meals per day, Airport Pick-up, Orientation on Arrival and 24/7 In-Country Support. Not Included: Flights, Insurance, VISA, Vaccinations, Return Airport Transfer, In-Country Transport, and Spending Money.
Additional Program Information
- Love Volunteers welcomes all who wish to volunteer and give their time and energy to help improve the lives of others in a developing country. Whilst some programs require specific education, qualifications and experience, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program