- Surin, Thailand
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Work Types:
- Animals, Education, Social Services
- 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 7-11 months
- Program Description:
For centuries, Thailand’s farmers have used the indigenous Elephants as beast of burden, and up until the mid-1980’s elephants were still used for logging. Now however logging is illegal, and this means that the elephants have literally been made redundant.
Elephants can consume upwards of 300kgs of food daily and require constant health checks. This is extremely expensive for an ordinary farming family whose income maybe less than $5 per day! Many of their owners (known as ‘Mahouts’) were therefore forced to walk their elephants through the streets of the big cities, selling photo opportunities to tourists.
We have promised to support them and their elephants, through voluntary service, if they promise not to tout their elephants to tourists. In addition to covering the costs of accommodation and food, program fees on this project are used to ensure the elephants remain in a healthy, natural environment, and that they receive the right healthcare and a regular healthy diet.
Age: 18 years +
Minimum stay: 1 Week
How to apply: Online Application (www.lovevolunteers.org/apply)
Start Dates: Flexible/Open Start Dates. (You choose your own start date!)
Language: All volunteers must have a good command of the English language. Some understanding of the local dialect would also be beneficial but is not a pre-requisite.
ABOUT LOVE VOLUNTEERS
Over the years, thousands of volunteers have trusted Love Volunteers for travel abroad that provides cultural immersion alongside the chance to help those in real need. Join us now for a safe, fun, and sustainable volunteer program in Thailand for a truly memorable experience abroad!
Here's why more and more people are choosing to become a LOVE VOLUNTEER!
Need - We work directly with local charities on grass-roots community development projects. Our focus is on providing support where it is really needed - not holidays! We keep volunteer numbers at sustainable levels to meet the needs of each project - not to increase revenue!
Impact - By becoming a Love Volunteer you are saying to the world that you are a REAL volunteer and your focus is on supporting people and communities in need. You're not just a tourist and your goals include much more than selfies and hangovers. Your contribution with LV will be real and measurable. You will change lives, and one of them will be your own!
Safety - Your safety is our top priority. We have personally visited and regularly audit all of our projects and accommodations so you can rest assured that your needs will be met, whilst getting the most out of your experience.
Support - With dedicated in-country teams, you know you will have 24/7 support right there when you need it - guaranteed! From simply questions to hospital trips, we will ensure you are supported throughout your placement.
Communication - We pride ourselves in our reputation as always being available when you need us, dealing with your questions quickly, and being prompt with all communications. We are here to help you help the world!
Value - We strive to make volunteering abroad affordable and accessible to everyone. Our program fees are lower, our registration fees are lower - and we encourage you to compare!
Security - We have placed thousands of international volunteers in meaningful voluntary service projects around the world. We have the experience and the reputation, so you know you are in good hands!
Friendship - One of the benefits of volunteering is that you'll meet new people and develop friendships that will last a lifetime. This is one of the true benefits of volunteering and we encourage you to make the most of the unique opportunity to develop these cross-cultural friendships.
Free time - We realize that everyone needs a break and encourage our volunteers to have a look around where and when possible. All you need to do is let us know what you want to do and we will do our very best to make it happen for you!
For more information, or to join us on this exciting project, visit our website now!
- Setting Description:
- This is a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to live and work with real Thai Mahouts, and to experience ‘real’ Thai community life first-hand; farm the land, go kayaking and Thai fishing on the local river, learn the Thai language and Thai cooking, and heaps more. This really is something very special! During the weekend volunteers stay in a hostel in Surin where laundry and wifi services are available. A great opportunity to sample a variety of Thai cuisine!
- LV Registration Fee + Programs Fees from just $560 for one week! USD. Included: Accommodation, 3 Meals per day during the week, Airport Pick-up, Orientation on Arrival and 24/7 In-Country Support. Not Included: Flights, Insurance, VISA, Vaccinations, Return Airport Transfer, In-Country Transport, and Spending Money.
Additional Program Information
- Love Volunteers welcomes all who wish to volunteer and give their time and energy to help improve the lives of others in a developing country. Whilst some programs require specific education, qualifications and experience, all applicants must first and foremost have a genuine willingness to help, show drive and initiative, and bring a positive 'can-do' attitude. If this sounds like you, we want you on the team!
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program