- Johannesburg, South Africa; Midrand, South Africa; Cape Town, South Africa
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester
- Program Description:
Spanning the course of three months, students will have endless opportunities to gain hands-on experience learning clinical skills and providing care to South African animals in need. Gain valuable experience learning and implementing the important work conservation and zoo vets do while also enjoying free time visiting some of South Africa’s most popular sites, including going on safari!
The semester takes place throughout South Africa, with some courses closer to Cape Town and others closer to Johannesburg. Loop Abroad began offering programs in South Africa in 2017, and our students have continued to ask for additional courses that explore more of the country, which is how the Wildlife and Conservation Semester Abroad came to be. South Africa offers a huge variety of unique opportunities to work with varied wildlife, from huge marine species to “The Big Five” in game reserves across the country. Your group will travel together among course locations and program sites, and all housing and transport within South Africa is included in your tuition.
The South Africa Wildlife and Conservation Semester Abroad is designed to enhance your pre-veterinary knowledge, skills, and experience.
If you plan to go to graduate school or look for a career in the areas of wildlife, zoos, or conservation, on-the-ground experience is incredibly beneficial to your application. This program will give you the chance to learn from experts in the field and get hands-on experience working in a variety of wildlife, zoo, and conservation settings, which will help to set you apart from other applicants and prepare you for your future career.
- $21,950 USD. The tuition for the South Africa Wildlife and Conservation Semester Abroad is $21,950. It includes tuition, housing, meals, transport to class each day, transport within South Africa, books, and lab fees. It does not include airfare to South Africa or health insurance. No visa is required (for citizens of the US or Canada). Financial aid options are available, including up to $5,000 in need-based aid from Loop Abroad and outside scholarships of up to $5,000. If you are currently a college stude
Additional Program Information
- This program is open to applicants age 18 and over. You can be a citizen or resident of any country. You do not need to currently be in school. All courses are taught in English. Competitive applicants plan to apply to vet school or otherwise work in a career with animals, have a 3.0 GPA or greater, and have a demonstrated interest in working in animal science. No specific skills or experiences are required. We do require one course of college-level biology as a prerequisite (AP Bio or IB Bio would meet this requirement, and there are affordable online alternatives available.)
- Scholarships Description:
- Need-based scholarships and aid are available. Details can be found on our website or by contacting us for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program