- Sydney, Australia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
A two-week adventure “down under” to volunteer at the Walkabout Wildlife Park in Calga Springs outside Sydney, Australia. Study zoology, practice conservation, care for wildlife, learn to run a zoo or animal conservation center, and work with all kinds of Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, echidnas, wallabies, and more.
Enjoy a fun few tourist days in Sydney and a day trip to a nearby beach town, explore aboriginal sites in the bush, and go behind the scenes at Targona Zoo.
• Assist in treatment rounds with Australian wildlife
• Go behind the scenes of Targona Zoo to learn about zoo conservation
• Health check kangaroos and koalas
• Examine pythons and echidnas
• Learn to handle and assess possums and bandicoots
• Discover the anatomy, behavior, and care needs of Australian animals from a zoo conservation perspective
• Create enrichments for everyone from dingos to cockatoos
• Learn how to run a zoo or animal conservation center
• Enjoy two days exploring Sydney
- Setting Description:
- We will live at Walkabout for the duration of the program (except for two nights in Sydney). The three student groups share a house, which allows you to get to know one another and share meals together. Students will be in rooms of 2-6 students each separated by gender, with shared bathrooms. During our time in Sydney, we will stay at at the Sydney Central YHA, a highly-ranked youth hostel that’s central to everything. Students will be in shared rooms by gender, with only other Loop students and staff in their room. (Bathrooms may be shared with others.)
- All-inclusive less airfare.
Additional Program Information
- The program is open to anyone age 18+. Each group will have up to 12 students. This program would be ideal for students or young adults interested in learning more about wildlife conservation and zoo management to prepare for a career or graduate study in conservation, wildlife, zoology, or related fields.
- Scholarships Description:
- Need-based scholarships and aid are available. Details can be found on our website or by contacting us for more information.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program