- Daugavpils, Latvia
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
This customized academic study abroad program is targeted at majors in history, politics, culture, and international relations who are studying Russian as a foreign language. The program is hosted at Daugavpils University.
The program includes intensive Russian language study at different target proficiency levels, as well as elective courses in East European studies. In East European studies, the language of instruction varies from English/Russian mix up to Russian-only, depending on the students’ preferences and abilities.
Undergraduate students can enroll for one semester or two consecutive semesters of study.
Daugavpils University will award up to 30 European Credit Transfer (ECTS) credits, the equivalent of 15 US university credits, per semester.
Citizens of the United States, Canada, European Union, and many other countries can enter Latvia without a visa.
- Two study modules – A. Russian as a Foreign Language and B. Eastern European Studies.
- Diverse elective course options in Eastern European studies, history, culture, political science, and etc.
- Russian language instruction provided at Intermediate, Advanced, and Superior target proficiency levels.
- Accommodation with Russian-speaking host families.
- Native Russian-speaking student communication partners.
- Excursions, field trips, cultural and athletic activities.
- Local health insurance, two-way airport transfer, a local mobile phone, and a full orientation.
- Optional guided trips to Russia or Belarus are possible. Visas can be obtained from consulates located in Daugavpils.
- Full linguistic and cultural immersion in the most Russian city of the European Union.
- Full-time in-country support.
- Setting Description:
- The classes are located in the central part of the city. We offer accommodation in carefully selected Russian-speaking families or in a modern student dormitory. As a rule, our students can reach all classes, cultural, sports, and entertainment facilities in less than 15 minutes walking. Daugavpils is a very safe and comfortable city to study and live.
Based on 1 Reviews
- The Greatest Adventure11/14/19
Learn Russian in the European Union provided a once in a lifetime opportunity. The language classes had a great mixture of practical exercises and reading and listening assignments. Both instructors were understanding, patient, and phenomenal. They created
an environment that encouraged us to try our best, make mistakes, and improve. Two additional classes I completed were on the history of the Baltic Region and the politics of the former Soviet Republics. Both classes were taught in Russian, making these first month or two incredibly difficult; but this forced my comprehension and speaking abilities to dramatically improve. Once again, both of these instructors were positive, patient, and knowledgeable. The contents of both courses were engaging and successfully introduced me to the history and current political systems of many countries in Eastern Europe. The host family experience was fantastic. My host mom and dad were happy to spend as much time with me as possible so that I could practice even after class. I had a private room to myself, a comfy bed, and a desk to work at. My host mom did laundry at my request and cleaned my room. She also cooked the best meals in the world! Spending so much time with them forms deep bonds and I still talk with my host family today. The immersive experience, being in an ethnic Russian household, developed a deeper understanding and greater appreciation of Russian culture and traditions. Lastly, Learn Russian in the European Union provides astounding opportunities to not only explore Latvia, but the Baltics and Eastern Europe. Planned trips that we took with the program included weekends to Lithuania (where we visited the cities of Kaunas and Vilnius), Estonia (visited the capital Tallinn), a day-trip to Finland (Helsinki), and Belarus (Minsk). Within Latvia, the program also took us to Salspil, (a memorial at the site of a concentration camp in Latvia), Riga (the capital), palaces in the countryside, and the secret Soviet nuclear bunker outside of Riga. The program also helps greatly with acquiring visas to Russia and schedules time for you to visit. We were able to spend a week in Russia, visiting Saint Petersburg and Moscow, before also flying to Astana, Kazakhstan to spend several days there in the capital city. Learn Russian in the European Union works with students to provide time outside of program travel. We were able to leave early on a Friday to fly to Kyiv, Ukraine at the end of our semester, and right before the semester began we were able to arrange travel to Germany, Austria, Hungary, and the Czech Republic. Overall, this program is well organized, educational, and fun! It was the greatest semester of learning that I have ever had and probably ever will have. Every single member of the team there is amazing and works diligently to ensure that you have the best educational and immersive experience. It is worth it!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend