- Dong Hoi, Viet Nam
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Program Description:
This innovative, predominantly online program offers students the opportunity to examine how international non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are affected by changes in their operating context. Students will become more familiar with the distinctive features of these organizations, their managerial challenges, their economic dynamics, their social and political environments, and the values they seek to realize. An intensive summer curriculum engages students via a case-based pedagogy that requires them to apply various principles central to the management of international NGOs. Over the course of the program, students will conduct several different projects related to the varied phases of a particular international NGO's operations.
This focused program delivers most of its instruction online during JMU’s graduate summer session (from mid-May through late July) and includes a one-week capstone study-abroad experience in July. Three of the four courses are taught online: Management in International NGOs, The International Non-Profit Sector, and Ethics and INGOs. Students may complete these three courses from any location with internet access. Students will complete the fourth course, The Politics of INGO Management, via a mixture of online learning and a field experience in Vietnam that will give participants the opportunity to work hands-on with a local NGO.
Students substantively employed in an NGO will return to work upon the completion of the program. Students who are not currently employed with a relevant NGO will also conduct a 6-credit academic internship with an international NGO within 15 months of completing their course work in order to complete the entire certificate program.
This certificate program welcomes applications from:
- current undergraduate students who will complete their bachelor’s degrees before the program start date
- applicants who have completed a bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree from an accredited 4-year institution
- graduate students currently seeking a degree at JMU
- Setting Description:
- Three of the four courses will be conducted online, so participants can take these courses from any location with internet access. This is especially helpful for mid-career students! The study abroad experience in Vietnam is a required component of the program and students will need to participate in the trip. While in Dong Hoi, participants will have the opportunity to work with and learn from international NGO staff and volunteers.
- 6,400 USD. An additional supplementary fee to cover program costs in Vietnam may also be required. Tuition includes all 12 credits of the summer portion of the certificate program (3 online courses and the study abroad course) and most of the in-country expenses related to the study abroad course (lodging, most meals, programs, medical insurance, and transportation during program dates). Participants will be responsible for paying for their airfare to and from Vietnam and some incidental expenses.
Additional Program Information
- Applicants may be current undergraduate students who will complete their bachelor’s degrees before the program start date, individuals who have already received a bachelor’s ore equivalent degree from an accredited 4-year institution, or graduate students currently seeking a degree at JMU. Students from all disciplines and fields are welcome!
- Scholarships Description:
- We are unable to offer financial aid or scholarships at this time.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program