- Bremen, Germany
- Program Type:
- Full Degree
- Degree Level:
- Computer Science
- Program Description:
Big Data and Data Engineering
Big data has turned out to have giant potential, but poses major challenges at the same time. On the one hand, big data is driving the next stage of technological innovation and scientific discovery. Accordingly, big data has been called the “gold” of the digital revolution and the information age. On the other hand, the global volume of data is growing at a pace which seems to be hard to control. In this light, it has been noted that we are “drowning in a sea of data”.
Faced with these prospects and risks, the world requires a new generation of data specialists. Data engineering is an emerging profession concerned with big data approaches to data acquisition, data management and data analysis. Providing you with up-to-date knowledge and cutting-edge computational tools, data engineering has everything that it takes to master the era of big data.
The Data Engineering program is located at Jacobs University, a private and international English-language academic institution in Bremen, Germany. The two-year program offers a fascinating and profound insight into the foundations, methods and technologies of big data. Students take a tailor-made curriculum comprising lectures, tutorials, laboratory trainings and hands-on projects. Embedded into a vibrant academic context, the program is taught by renowned experts. In a unique setting, students also team up with industry professionals in selected courses. Core components of the program and areas of specialization include:
- The Big Data Challenge
- Data Analytics
- Big Data Bases and Cloud Services
- Principles of Statistical Modeling
- Data Acquisition Technologies
- Big Data Management
- Machine Learning
- Internet of Things
- Data Visualization and Image Processing
- Document Analysis
- Internet Security and Privacy
- Legal Aspects of Data Engineering and Data Ethics
Demand for data engineers is massive – in industry, commerce and the public sector. From IT to finance, from automotive to oil and gas, from health to retail: companies and institutions in almost every domain need experts for data acquisition, data management and data analysis. With an MSc degree in Data Engineering, you will excel in this most exciting and rewarding field with very attractive salaries. Likewise, an MSc degree in Data Engineering allows you to move on to a PhD and to a career in science and research.
Application and Admission
The Data Engineering program starts in the first week of September every year. Please visit our website or use the contact form to request details on how to apply. We are looking forward to receiving your inquiry.
Scholarships and Funding Options
All applicants are automatically considered for merit-based scholarships of up to € 12,000 per year. Depending on availability, additional scholarships sponsored by external partners are offered to highly gifted students. Moreover, each admitted candidate may request an individual financial package offer with attractive funding options.
Campus Life and Accommodation
Jacobs University’s green and tree-shaded campus provides much more than buildings for teaching and research. It is home to an intercultural community which is unprecedented in Europe. A Student Activities Center, various sports facilities, a music studio, a student-run café/bar, concert venues and our Interfaith House ensure that you will always have something interesting to do. In addition, Jacobs University offers attractive student accommodation on or off campus.
- Setting Description:
- Jacobs University’s green and tree-shaded campus provides much more than buildings for teaching and research. Students from all over the world come to live and learn at Jacobs University. Representing over 100 nations, our student body forms an intercultural community which is unprecedented in Europe.
- 20000 EUR.
Additional Program Information
- Contact the school for information
- Financial Aid:
- FinancialAid Info:
- Each admitted candidate may request an individual financial package offer which includes a tuition deferral option.
- Letter of Motivation Curriculum vitae (CV) University transcript Bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent (may be handed in later) Two letters of recommendation English language proficiency test with a minimum score of 90 (TOEFL) or 6.5 (IELTS). Alternatively, students may submit a confirmation from their previous university that their education was conducted in English.
- Scholarships Description:
- All applicants are automatically considered for Jacobs University Graduate Scholarships of up to € 12,000 per year. Depending on availability, additional scholarships sponsored by external partners are offered to highly gifted students.