- Prishtine, Kosovo; Rukungiri, Uganda
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Program Description:
Isla Internships builds upon the work of our local partner non-profit, non-governmental organizations by providing opportunities for intrepid humanitarians, social entrepreneurs and change-makers to work shoulder-to-shoulder with the most dedicated community development leaders in our partner communities.
Isla's nique program gives participants access to innovative capacity-building methodologies and provides the opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with the most dedicated community development leaders in our partner communities.
Our founding philosophy derives from the knowledge that local people, communities, and organizations are best equipped to guide development in their communities.
Our local partner organization focus on one or more of the following key areas:
Health and Well Being
Education and Youth Development
Social Enterprise Development
Peace, Social Jusitce, and Reduced Inequalities
- Setting Description:
- Kasese district is located along the Equator in the western region of Uganda. It borders the districts of Kabarole and Bundibugyo in the north, Lake George and Kamwenge in the east, Bushenyi and Lake Edward in the south and the Democratic Republic of Congo in the west. Rukungiri district is located south of the Equator in the southwestern region of Uganda.The district is bordered by Rubirizi District to the north, Mitooma District to the east, Ntungamo District to the southeast, Kabale District to the south, Kanungu District to the west, and Lake Edward (Democratic Republic of the Congo) to the northwest. The district headquarters are approximately 400 kilometres (250 mi), by road, south-west of Kampala, Uganda's capital city. Like most districts in Uganda, Kasese district is predominantly agricultural, relying on farming for employment and income. The people keep livestock including cattle, goats, sheep and pigs.
- Internships are tax deductible for U.S. residents. The program fee of $3,800 for a 9-week internship pays for the costs associated with supporting your internship. Program fees include: airport pickup upon arrival; a family home stay with breakfast and dinner provided; on-going in-country support from in-country staff; medical evacuation and health insurance
Additional Program Information
- Undergraduate or graduate student; working professional
- Scholarships Description:
- Partial scholarships offered upon request for participation in an Isla internship in Uganda, Kosovo, or Bulgaria.