- Muriae, Brazil
- Program Type:
- Intern Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, MayMester Intersession, Rolling Starts, Spring Break, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Semester, Year Round
- Work Types:
- Business, Sciences & Environment
- Program Description:
We warmly invite you to intern with us at the Iracambi Atlantic Rainforest Conservation and Research Center located in one of the world's top five biodiversity hotspots. Work alongside our coordinators and fellow students in one (or more) of our programs, all working together to fulfil our mission of Saving Forests and Changing Lives. .
1. Forest Restoration : seed collection, making and caring for young seedlings in our forest nursery, visiting local farms for to collect data and select reforestry plots, uploading and storing data, planting and monitoring the planted areas.
2. Medicinal Plants: cataloging the medicinal plants of the rainforest (as part of a nation wide inventory in partnership with Brazil's premier research agency Fiocruz,) studying and recording traditional uses, expanding our herbarium, and creating organic products made from medicinal plant extracts.
3. Environmental Education: working with our coordinator to visit local schools and host school visits to our syste of rainforest trails, with the objective of raising a new generation of environmental leaders. (It will help if you have even a rudimentary knowledge of Portuguese, but you can acquire that as you go along.) Assist in preparing school visits, creating innovative materials and workshops for schoolchildren, students and community members.
4. Non profit management: soup to nuts. learn valuable lifeskills that you can use anywhere any time: how to manage people, programs, money, and community relations. Every day a different aspect which will leave you with a well rounded understanding of how to follow your passion, and do good while doing well.
- Setting Description:
- Situated in the forested mountains of Minas Gerais, Iracambi is six hours from Rio, at an altitude of 1000 m which gives it a wonderful climate year round. Don't expect city comforts, do expect climbing, hiking, swimming in natural rock pools, and living in a gloriously beautiful place with great people.
- $200 per week, all found USD. $200 per week covers full board and accommodation (our food is delicious!) Wifi access, on campus program costs and support 24/7. Most nationalities qualify for a free visa on arrival - but please check.
Additional Program Information
- You should have completed high school/be enrolled in college, speak English, and have a strong desire to leave the world better than you found it.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program