Discover Southeast Asia is an intensive two-month field program that explores environmental and social justice issues in Northern Thailand and Burma. It will introduce you to Southeast Asia’s incredible diversity of culture and environment; a place of of
- Bangkok, Thailand; Nay Pyi Taw, Myanmar
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
- • 15 credits through Western Washington University
• Learn about South and Southeast Asian culture, history and religion.
• Travel to rural villages and ancient cities
• Experience the incredible diversity of cultures and environments in Asia
• Service learning opportunities through local community development projects
• Trek in the jungles of Thailand and the Himalayas of India
• Field studies in a variety of disciplines, including: anthropology, education, environmental studies, economics, political science, and philosophy/religion
Discover Southeast Asia is an intensive two-month field program that explores environmental and social justice issues in Northern Thailand and Burma. It will introduce you to Southeast Asia’s incredible diversity of culture and environment; a place of of a saffron clad monks, steamy tropical jungles and ancient civilizations. It is designed to provide both group support and structure, while allowing time for personal exploration and discovery. Along our journey we will be staying with village communities, sharing their experiences and supporting their grassroots community projects.
This is a comprehensive fee that includes: International round trip airfare, daily living expenses (food, lodging), In-country transportation, admissions (temples, parks, etc.), trek and other excursions, course materials, group medical supplies. This does not include: visa, immunizations/personal medical expenses, independent travel.
- Setting Description:
- The program will take place both in rural villages and historical urban areas of Thailand and Burma. We travel low to the ground and, at times during the program, will have very basic living conditions. The primary destinations will be in Kanchanaburi, Thailand; Mae Sot, Thailand; and Hpa-An, Burma.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program