At the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the principal areas of study are French language and culture (introductory through advanced levels of language, civilization, and literature); art and archaeology, including art history and studio art; and
- Madrid, Spain; Aix-En-Provence, France; Rabat, Morocco
- Program Type:
- Volunteer Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Work Types:
- Arts, Social Services, Translation
- 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
- IAU offers manyprogram options to students: Designed for all majors and levels of French, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is renowned for its founding philosophy of making it possible for students with beginning French language skills to study in France; the Marchutz School of Fine Arts is a studio art program with an interdisciplinary and holistic approach for students of all levels which takes advantage of the beautiful landscapes and light of Provence; the French Honors Program is designed for upper level French students. IAU also offers J-Term and summer programs in Barcelona, Spain.
At the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the principal areas of study are French language and culture (introductory through advanced levels of language, civilization, and literature); art and archaeology, including art history and studio art; and European/international studies and social sciences (business, comparative literature, economics, education, government, history, philosophy, political science, and psychology). The Marchutz School combines studio work and liberal arts courses with an intensive art criticism seminar and excursions to European museums and cities, including Paris, Giverny, and Venice.
Included in the program is the homestay. Students share daily continental breakfasts and six dinners per week with their hosts. Excursions are also a part of each program. Each center offers its own regional excursions, and students are strongly encouraged to participate. These excursions provide excellent opportunities to see and learn more about other places in the south of France.
- Setting Description:
- One of the most beautiful and varied regions of France, Provence has a marvelously diverse topography with valleys, mountains, canyons, legendary beaches, and the salt marshes of the Camargue, where horse breeding is still a thriving industry. Rich in artistic heritage, Aix-en-Provence is renowned its their medieval, Renaissance, and 17th and 18th century architecture. Cave paintings in Cassis, Romanesque abbeys in the Vaucluse, and the influence of Cezanne in Aix, Van Gogh in Arles, Camus in Lourmarin, and Cocteau on the Cote d'Azur are just a few treasures of the region's cultural heritage.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program