- Madrid, Spain; Aix-En-Provence, France; Rabat, Morocco
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Gap Year
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer
- Program Description:
- IAU offers manyprogram options to students: Designed for all majors and levels of French, the School of Humanities and Social Sciences is renowned for its founding philosophy of making it possible for students with beginning French language skills to study in France; the Marchutz School of Fine Arts is a studio art program with an interdisciplinary and holistic approach for students of all levels which takes advantage of the beautiful landscapes and light of Provence; the French Honors Program is designed for upper level French students. IAU also offers J-Term and summer programs in Barcelona, Spain.
At the School of Humanities and Social Sciences, the principal areas of study are French language and culture (introductory through advanced levels of language, civilization, and literature); art and archaeology, including art history and studio art; and European/international studies and social sciences (business, comparative literature, economics, education, government, history, philosophy, political science, and psychology). The Marchutz School combines studio work and liberal arts courses with an intensive art criticism seminar and excursions to European museums and cities, including Paris, Giverny, and Venice.
Included in the program is the homestay. Students share daily continental breakfasts and six dinners per week with their hosts. Excursions are also a part of each program. Each center offers its own regional excursions, and students are strongly encouraged to participate. These excursions provide excellent opportunities to see and learn more about other places in the south of France.
- Setting Description:
- One of the most beautiful and varied regions of France, Provence has a marvelously diverse topography with valleys, mountains, canyons, legendary beaches, and the salt marshes of the Camargue, where horse breeding is still a thriving industry. Rich in artistic heritage, Aix-en-Provence is renowned its their medieval, Renaissance, and 17th and 18th century architecture. Cave paintings in Cassis, Romanesque abbeys in the Vaucluse, and the influence of Cezanne in Aix, Van Gogh in Arles, Camus in Lourmarin, and Cocteau on the Cote d'Azur are just a few treasures of the region's cultural heritage.
Based on 1 Reviews
- IAU Aix-en-Provence -- an experience like no other05/14/19
I studied abroad abroad here during the fall semester of 2018 and it was an experience that changed my life. It was nice that the school was small, which allowed me to focus on other aspects of my experience such as language and relationship with my host
family. Excursions were built into the courses so it was nice to be able to travel around provence and get experiential learning during my time abroad. The professors here are very nice and understanding, and know that study abroad is so much deeper than attending class in a foreign country. I would recommend studying abroad to anyone, and even more so at IAU in Aix. The town is very quaint, clean, and full of students which made the night life very fun and I felt like an actual French college student. I walked everywhere in Aix and hardly ever felt unsafe. I wouldn't trade my study abroad aixperience for anything in the world!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend