- Shanghai, China
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
What better place to study engineering than the world’s fastest growing economy and manufacturing center? Starting Fall 2015, you will have the opportunity to study either Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering in English at one of the top universities in China, Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU). SJTU ranked fifth in China in the 2013 QS University rankings and first in Mechanical Engineering. The university boasts numerous technological achievements and notable alumni in the field of engineering. You study at the University of Michigan–SJTU Joint Institute, where you will have access to high caliber faculty, research laboratories, and a wide range of English-taught courses such as Physics, Electromagnetics, Data Structures and Algorithms, Combustion, and Probabilistic Methods in Engineering.
Our mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Fall students are required to enroll in the Chinese language course offered at SJTU, while spring students must enroll in a four-week IES Abroad intensive Chinese language course worth 4 credits. No matter which semester you choose, you will take two to three engineering courses taught in English at the Joint Institute for a total of 12-16 credits per semester. You also have the option to take English-taught IES Abroad elective courses in the 21st Century China Program.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- A thoroughly modern city risen from a fishing village less than 100 years ago, Shanghai has been heavily influenced by Western business, culture, and architecture. If you're searching for a rapidly changing, dynamic city to in which to study, Shanghai is your destination. Learn the impact of such rapid modernization on local customs and the environment. Practice your Chinese with some of the over 26 million citizens calling this—the largest and most developed city in China—home.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Overall RatingNot Yet Reviewd
Be the First to Review this Program