- Nagoya, Japan
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Immerse yourself in Japanese culture through full-time enrollment at the Center for Japanese Studies (CJS) at Nanzan University. As a distinguished private university, Nanzan University offers excellent learning opportunities. In addition to a required intensive Japanese language class, you will choose from a range of CJS English-taught course offerings in Business, Humanities, and Social Sciences, and enjoy hands-on instruction in Japanese arts such as ikebana, shodo, hanga, and sumie. Students with very advanced language skills are encouraged to enroll in seminars taught in Japanese with local students.
IES Abroad’s mission is simple: to provide you with the best study abroad program possible—which includes the highest quality academic and cultural experiences. That is why we partnered with Nanzan University. Course offerings vary from semester to semester. Exact course offerings are determined by Nanzan University shortly before the start of each semester. For this reason, you register for courses upon arrival. You must take 15–18 credits per semester. Complete and up-to-date course descriptions are available by visiting Nanzan University’s Center for Japanese Studies website.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- Yearning to immerse yourself in Japanese language and history near the heart of cultural Japan? Join us in Nagoya. The fourth-largest city and the hub of Japanese manufacturing industries in Japan has plenty of festivals, traditional arts, and sports to enjoy. Be sure to visit Nagoya Castle and Atsuta Shrine, two beautiful and culturally significant landmarks, to help you gain a better understanding of Nagoya.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers over $4 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 1 Reviews
- An Amazing Japanese Learning Experience03/29/14
I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is interested in studying abroad in Japan! While you do not need to be fluent in Japanese to be in this program, you will definitely get a lot more out of the experience if you have taken a couple
years or more of Japanese before starting this program. Since many people in Nagoya do not speak very much English, you will definitely be practicing your conversational Japanese often. This can be challenging at times, but your Japanese will definitely improve! At Nanzan University, you will be required to take Japanese classes, and you can also choose from a number of elective classes. I definitely recommend trying at least one of the arts classes if you can. If you ever need help with anything, the CJS and IES staff members are very friendly and always willing to help! The subway system is pretty good in Nagoya, so it is very easy and safe to get around the city, and you can also visit other nearby cities such as Tokyo, Osaka, or Kyoto. In addition to traveling on your own, IES also offers awesome weekend field trips which are already included in the program fee! On these trips, you will get to eat a lot of great food, stay in nice Japanese inns, and do a lot of exciting activities that you probably wouldn't have the opportunity to do on your own. The field trips were definitely one of the best parts of the experience! You won't be disappointed!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend