- Milan, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
As a music student in Milan, you have the opportunity to work with world-class musicians, soak-up the local music scene, perform at a variety of venues, and attend a wide variety of performances.
You are placed in classes and ensembles to enhance not just what you learn, but how you learn it, and provide you with new perspectives each day in class. Milan features many highly-qualified local instructors for both voice and instrumental performance to enrich your learning experience. Also, you may use concert venues for recitals, and attend concerts and rehearsals of professional performance organizations such as La Scala, La Verdi, Milano Classica, and Italian musical productions. In addition, we will help you with instrument rentals and studio time arrangements—all rental costs will be covered by IES Abroad. You take 15–19 credit hours per semester, and all courses are worth 3 credits unless otherwise specified. Language courses are taught in Italian, and all other courses are taught in English or Italian.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- Think of your study abroad experience as a song—what will be the inspiration? See “The Last Supper,” one of the most influential works of the Renaissance. Witness some of the world’s finest performers at Teatro alla Scala, the world-renowned opera house. Observe fashion executives to see how successful businesses are run. No matter what you choose, your Milanese experience with IES Abroad will come together to make the perfect symphony.
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers $5 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 1 Reviews
- A Life-Changing Semester!08/19/19
My experience at the IES Milan - Music: Voice, Composition, and Instrumental program was unforgettable, filled with amazing opportunities to learn about Italian music, language, culture, and social issues. I studied opera there and received the finest
instruction from music professors like Patrizia Zanardi, Anna Fre, and Stefano Pintor. I was able to apply what I had learned in recitals and one-act operas that my fellow students and I presented at IES. Not only that, but I was also able to learn more about opera by attending five La Scala opera productions, four of which were paid for by IES. My Staging Italian Opera class also got to observe a rehearsal at La Scala for Mozart's Idomeneo and tour the opera house's workshops. These opportunities shaped my abroad experience, and I am very grateful to IES for having provided them. Not only was my music education wonderful, but my other classes were stellar also. For example, I took Service Learning and gained insight into the European migration crisis by volunteering at the Municipality of Milan's immigration office, putting the skills I was learning in the seminar (and in my advanced Italian class) to action. I also volunteered as an English tutor to the social worker I shadowed at this office, helping him better serve the English-speaking migrants who came to the office. I found all of the staff at IES Milan to be extremely helpful. Whenever I had a question about anything, whether it involved an upcoming IES-sponsored trip or a personal health concern, they always answered my questions and showed that they cared about me. I felt that I was in very good hands for the entire semester. I lived in a homestay with a very kind and loving Milanese family, and I wouldn't trade that experience for anything, as it was so fun to have younger Italian siblings and to truly immerse myself in the Italian language. My homestay became my home away from home, and in difficult moments I was so grateful to have Italian parents for support. And the food was incomparable, of course! Nothing in this world is better than a home-cooked Italian meal. I hope that anyone who reads this will be able to study at IES Milan, especially if you are an undergraduate music student. It was the best semester of my life!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend