- Madrid, Spain
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester
- Program Description:
- Our program is designed for students who want to experience the vitality of Spain and the large urban university environment of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid (UCM), one of the country’s most distinguished universities.
We offer unique courses that explore Spanish Language, and Area Studies, through an in-depth and hands-on approach. Our world-class professors and course options at prestigious local universities enhance your academic experience and provide you with new perspectives each day in class. You take 15–19 credits per semester and all courses are worth three credits unless otherwise specified. All courses are taught in Spanish.
Founded in 1950, IES Abroad is a global, not-for-profit study abroad organization with 115+ academic programs in Africa, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Latin America. To learn more about what we offer visit our website.
- Setting Description:
- We dare you to get bored in Madrid—you can wander around the Plaza Mayor, visit the city’s many churches and cathedrals, enjoy the sunshine in one of Madrid’s many parks, see a Flamenco show, watch a Real Madrid soccer game, taste the city’s unique cuisine—should we go on? Not only is Madrid the capital city of Spain, it’s also the heart of the country. Located in the center of Spain, Madrid is a great starting point to explore this gorgeously diverse country. Have you packed your bags yet?
- We offer more than $2.2 million in scholarships & financial aid. Contact IES Abroad or see our website for cost, scholarships, and financial aid.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- IES Abroad offers over $4 million dollars in need- and merit-based scholarships and grants that can be used toward an IES Abroad study abroad program. Apply online using our universal Aid Application, and we’ll pair you with the scholarships and grants.
Based on 3 Reviews
- Best semester of my life!04/10/14
I studied abroad with IES Madrid in the Fall of 2012 and it was the best semester of my life! Madrid is an incredible city with great nightlife, culture, parks restaurants...the list goes on! You will never run out of things to do. And it's easy to get
anywhere else in Spain or the rest of Europe. IES was great with planning activities for students, from field trips to sight seeing around Madrid. The orientation trip to León and Asturias was unbelievable! The IES staff, Yolanda, Angel, etc. were amazing and approachable. Classes were pretty easy, but there is a strict attendance policy. It was great not having class on Fridays, allowing extra time to travel on the weekends. Almost everyone I knew loved their living situation, whether it was a home stay, apartment or a dorm. I lived in a home stay and adored my host mother. We had a great relationship and she was accommodating, caring and down to earth. However, other than my host mom and the program staff, I did not interact much with Madrid locals. There was not much interaction with American and Spanish students unless you lived in a dorm. Although not perfect, I would definitely recommend this program.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- A wonderful experience!03/25/14
The IES Abroad program definitely tried to immerse us into the culture of Spain and I really felt as if I was a student there, as opposed to just studying abroad. For the 5+ months that I was in Spain, I felt like I got a handle of it was it was to live
in Madrid and really understood the culture that surrounded it. IES Abroad did an excellent job in providing different activities and field trips in Spain that taught us more about the culture and really gave us some great memories to take back home. In addition, the classes that they provided were a great tool to learn about the history and culture of Spain and it was awesome to actually see it be lived as we traveled and learned more about Madrid.read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
- Best Semester Ever!03/24/14
IES Abroad was amazing. The staff was there every step of the way and really wanted us to enjoy our time in Madrid and to see other parts of Europe also. I also learned a lot in the classes because the atmosphere was relaxed and I felt like I was able
to just focus on learning the material and not necessarily have to worry about my grade. If you do what is expected of you, you will do well AND learn a lot! I also had a wonderful host family and the IES abroad staff checked on my family and I to make sure that we were enjoying each other's company throughout the year and just making sure that everyone was comfortable with the arrangement. I totally recommend this program!read moreBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend